Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttylert  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:09:43 AM(UTC)
ttylert

Groups: Registered

Kenmore Upright Freezer is not cooling or holding temperature. I opened up the inside panel to expose the coil. Fan runs, Inside light works, compressor seems to start and run.

At initial start-up...Coil begins to frost/cool for a few minutes and then looses the frost. Compressor continues to run. There is a detectable difference in temperature when comparing both sides of the compressor.

The Defrost heater and thermostat test ok with continuity. Used a different freezer to test Defrost thermostat.

ANY HELP would be appreciated!!

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:30:17 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
As long as the compressor is running you are not in a defrost cycle.

When the compressor runs the coils should cool and frost up.
By the sound of it you have a sealed system problem.
You may be low on freon though normally the symptom of this is frost in one area on the evaporator coils, usually where the freon enters the coils.
Also could be a bad compressor or a partial plug in the sealed system.

Does not really matter which as they will all be expensive repairs as you need a pro. Often it makes more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.

Not sure why you are looking at the defrost system unless the defrost heater is coming on when the compressor is on which should not happen.
The normal symptom for a defrost problem is heavily frosted/iced over evaporator coils.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ttylert  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:03:20 PM(UTC)
ttylert

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
As long as the compressor is running you are not in a defrost cycle.

When the compressor runs the coils should cool and frost up.
By the sound of it you have a sealed system problem.
You may be low on freon though normally the symptom of this is frost in one area on the evaporator coils, usually where the freon enters the coils.
Also could be a bad compressor or a partial plug in the sealed system.

Does not really matter which as they will all be expensive repairs as you need a pro. Often it makes more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.

Not sure why you are looking at the defrost system unless the defrost heater is coming on when the compressor is on which should not happen.
The normal symptom for a defrost problem is heavily frosted/iced over evaporator coils.

Thanks for the reply! That is what I feared! I was looking at the defrost system because the unit was leaking water originally when it quit working. It belongs to a friend, so I was not there to see if it was iced up at that time. I thought that the leaking could have been from an ice dam in the drain, etc...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply