Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ayersl  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 3:59:38 PM(UTC)
ayersl

Groups: Registered

My GE Profile Artica (24" deep) is very slow making ice. I know it sounds crazy, but it gets very slow during the summer vs. winter. That doesn't make any sense to me. I know tha we probably use a little more ice during the summer, but not that much more. I know that I need to change the water filter; does that affect the regularity of the cycles?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 4:03:59 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

The water filter shouldn't affect it, but the incoming water temp could add a little time as could the temp in the freezer. Should be at least 10 degrees.
ayersl  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 5:21:19 PM(UTC)
ayersl

Originally Posted by: woodchuckie Go to Quoted Post
The water filter shouldn't affect it, but the incoming water temp could add a little time as could the temp in the freezer. Should be at least 10 degrees.

Are you saying to raise the temp to +10 degrees F ? I have it set at 0, (it says on it " 0 degrees F is recommended" next to the adjustment.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 5:42:00 PM(UTC)
magician59

What woodchuckie is saying is that the temperature of the water entering your refrigerator should be around ten degrees. If it is warmer, it will take longer to freeze. I live in southeast Texas, and my plumbing is very poorly insulated (It runs through my attic.). When it comes out the COLD tap, for a minute or two, it's hot enough to wash dishes! That kind of "cold" water will take at least three times as long to freeze.
ayersl  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 5:52:04 PM(UTC)
ayersl

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
What woodchuckie is saying is that the temperature of the water entering your refrigerator should be around ten degrees. If it is warmer, it will take longer to freeze. I live in southeast Texas, and my plumbing is very poorly insulated (It runs through my attic.). When it comes out the COLD tap, for a minute or two, it's hot enough to wash dishes! That kind of "cold" water will take at least three

Are we talking F or C? If the incoming water was 10 F, it would already be ice. The water coming out of the tap is nice & cool.
magician59  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 6:06:51 PM(UTC)
magician59

Sorry...I'm brain=dead. The temp of the evaporator coil should be -10 deg. F.
You're quite right. If I could get 10 deg. water out of my taps, I wouldn't need ice! Don't know what I was saying. Sorry for misreading your thoughts, woodchuckie.
magician59  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 6:09:56 PM(UTC)
magician59

Originally Posted by: ayersl Go to Quoted Post
My GE Profile Artica (24" deep) is very slow making ice. I know it sounds crazy, but it gets very slow during the summer vs. winter. That doesn't make any sense to me. I know tha we probably use a little more ice during the summer, but not that much more. I know that I need to change the water filter; does that affect the regularity of the cycles?

Does your refrigerator sit in partial or full sunlight? Have you noticed a difference in the QUALITY of the ice, e.g. hollow; smaller;etc.?
ayersl  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 6:13:44 PM(UTC)
ayersl

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
Does your refrigerator sit in partial or full sunlight? Have you noticed a difference in the QUALITY of the ice, e.g. hollow; smaller;etc.?

it is installed in a cabinet, with almost zero clearance on the sides, and about 3/4" on the top. It is definitely not in sunlight, and the quality of ice hasn't changed that I have noticed.

By the way, what is the ideal temp for the freezer to make ice? I have seen different recommendations on similar threads.
magician59  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 6:48:51 PM(UTC)
magician59

Some models have a thermostat in the icemaker circuit that won't close until the freezer compartment is below about 40 degrees F. I'm not sure if yours is one of them. If you can hear the icemaker fill, try to time it. Several factors can affect the freezing of the water, including the amount of food you have in the freezer. It could be time to replace the icemaker. If you don't want to pay a pro to come and diagnose it, just make a log and see if the unit is consistent, or if it is taking more and more time between harvests. No need to baby sit it...just notice every time you hear the ice dump into the bin.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply