Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cheeseman2008  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2009 11:45:09 AM(UTC)
cheeseman2008

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Profile bottom freezer refrigerator that is no longer cold in the refrigerator compartment. I have tried leaving it unplugged for 24 hours and have the same result. Freezer is great, but the frig is 65 degrees. I removed the back access panel and the coils are clean. The fan to the right of the coils (the condenser fan?) is not turning. It spins freely but does not turn on. Would this fan being bad provide the symptom of a warm frig,or is my problem with the “controller board” that I have read about going bad? I tried blowing a high power fan directed at the opening that the condenser fan points into but this did not reduce the temp in the refrig compartment. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2009 1:28:54 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Yes, the fan in the freezer(evaporator fan) pulls the cold air across the evaporator coils blowing in into the freezer. Without it no cold air gets through the vent. test it here >Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Test the Evaporator Fan - ACME HOW TO.com If it's good it may be a control board problem.
cheeseman2008  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2009 6:18:22 PM(UTC)
cheeseman2008

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: woodchuckie Go to Quoted Post
Yes, the fan in the freezer(evaporator fan) pulls the cold air across the evaporator coils blowing in into the freezer. Without it no cold air gets through the vent. test it here >Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Test the Evaporator Fan - ACME HOW TO.com If it's good it may be a control board problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am pretty sure that the fan I see not running is the condenser fan not the evaporator fan. I have not take the freezer compartment apart yet to check the evaporator fan. The fan I am talking about is accessed in the rear of the unit. I understand why a failed evaporator fan would cause the refrig not to cool but what does the condenser fan do?
woodchuckie  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:03:52 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

The heat removed from the freezer by the freon in the evaporator coil in the freezer then travels through the tube to the condenser coil where the heat is removed from the freon by the condenser fan blowing across it thus transferring the heat to the air.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply