Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
snlphill  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2008 12:55:16 PM(UTC)
snlphill

Groups: Registered

My refrigerator starting warming up last night--it went from 38 to 68 in about 4 hours. My freezer is fine. I don't see any visible problems with frost or leaks or overheating. :( Please advise. Does anyone know where I could find a repair manual online? Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:24:29 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This is a GE refrigerator I have never seen before, hopefully someone has! Gene!
richappy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:31:02 AM(UTC)
richappy

Measure your back freezer wall temperature, should be between zero and 5 degrees. If ok, pull your service sheet, should be under the front kick panel. Per schematic, check the resistance of the fridg section thermistor, probably bad. This controls the motorized damper. Make sure also, that the damper door is not jammed shut.
n_b  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:12:22 AM(UTC)
n_b

I have the same problem with my Kenmore Elite Trio. It's similar model (the user manual that came with the fridge is for both models - yours and mine. I say that, because several models are listed on the front page of the manual, including mine and yours). Anyway, the problem with mine seems to be the evaporator fan (the fan inside the freezer section that blows cold air into the fridge). The fan was stuck and i had to manually spin the blades to get it running again. But even though it's running it seems to be spinning too slowly to move any appreciable volume of air. Were you able to find the solution to your problem? I am wondering if I am on the right path. Amy feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
woodchuckie  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 5:47:51 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Originally Posted by: n_b Go to Quoted Post
I have the same problem with my Kenmore Elite Trio. It's similar model (the user manual that came with the fridge is for both models - yours and mine. I say that, because several models are listed on the front page of the manual, including mine and yours). Anyway, the problem with mine seems to be the evaporator fan (the fan inside the freezer section that blows cold air into the fridge). The fan was stuck and i had to manually spin the blades to get it running again. But even though it's running it seems to be spinning too slowly to move any appreciable volume of air. Were you able to find the solution to your problem? I am wondering if I am on the right path. Amy feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You need to replace your fan it it won't start on it's own.
n_b  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:14:39 PM(UTC)
n_b

So, I ordered a replacement motor for my evaporator fan kit (it's pretty neat, they only send you the motor, the fan blades are reusable - they slide onto the shaft of the motor). UPS dropped the motor off today. Assembled the fan unit - new motor, original plastic fan blades. Plugged it in, and the fan wouldn't spin. Turned the whole assembly up-side down and the fan started spinning. Turned it right side-up while the fan was spinning and the fan continued to spin. But I could hear the motor struggling/squealing. Incidentally, the fan was spinning VERY fast in both cases (right side up and upside down). I suspect that the motor I received is defective. But is it possible that the problem is somewhere in the refrigerator? The motor is an AC motor (115V, 60Hz, 0.14A) so there is no transformer in the refrigerator (at least not for the evaporator motor), so the only thing I can think of is bad wiring. If it was a DC motor, I would suspect the transformer. But how likely is it that the wiring is bad? Is there any way for me to determine what the real problem is, if in fact, it is not the motor?

Thanks in advance for your help.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2009 12:51:43 AM(UTC)
richappy

You will need a meter to tell if the new motor is getting 115 volts or something less.
n_b  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 11:59:19 AM(UTC)
n_b

So, the motor has 3 terminals: (pos), (neg), and (gnd). I should expect 115V between (pos) and (neg) right?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply