Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JDB59  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 10:31:56 AM(UTC)
JDB59

Groups: Registered

My parent's Kenmore refrigerator (model # 596.75232400) is not working properly;both the refer and freezer are/were not getting cold enough. Additionally, the unit was making an unusual sound (about every 15 minutes), which I was able to isolate to the compressor.

I have spent a fair amount of time on this website reading older posts and it appears the problem is likely a bad "compressor starting device." I pulled this piece and it does have a rattle to it, but not too bad. If it were good would there be no sound?

Are there other things that I should check? Or, based on the refrigerator's symptoms can I reasonably say it is the compressor starting device?

Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

JDB59  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:28:25 PM(UTC)
JDB59

Not having heard back from anyone (hint, hint) and, since I was leaving my 84 y.o. parents today I ordered another compressor starting device (part # AP4079373) before leaving.

Interestingly, my father plugged the refer back in (without the new part in) and called me on the road to say, "All was well and that the ice maker was even making ice!" Consequently, it appears the compressor start device was not the culprit. I just heard back from my pops that the refer is again not working; about every 10-15 minutes the compressor makes a clicking sound and shuts off, and the refer/freezer are not getting cold (enough).

Next steps? Someone? Anyone? Beuller?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:58:27 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your start device is ok. It seems the compressor is shutting down on it's overload due to high current. An amprobe would confirm. Only thing that would cause this is a bad compressor. If the compressor starts again after a few minutes, that would confirm there is no component dropping out power to the compressor.
It's also possable the compressor is overheating due to a bad condensing motor, or clogged condenser.
JDB59  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:54:25 PM(UTC)
JDB59

I recently spoke with my father about what, more specifically, the refrigerator is doing. He reports that there is a "click, buzz, click" about every 3 minutes while the compressor is running. The compressor continues to run (w/ the sounds) until the refer gets to temperature, wherein it shuts off. If the refer door is opened and/or the temp control is changed to a colder setting the compressor kicks back on as (I assume) it should.

So, the compressor is not shutting off as I earlier reported. Sorry for the misinformation. My father also reports that the refer/freezer are cold, which is a change from the other day. Next steps?

Thank you for your help!
richappy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:37:38 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You might have a bad control module in this. It might be intermittent causing the compressor to cycle off and on due to insufficient time for pressures to equalize. A tech would power the compressor direct to determine the compressor is ok.
JDB59  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:40:08 AM(UTC)
JDB59

Thank you for getting back to me. It sounds as if troubleshooting this problem is more technical and involved than I thought (i.e. hoped) it would be. I recommended to my folks to go ahead and call a technician. I will let ya know what happens.
JDB59  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:52:03 AM(UTC)
JDB59

A quick follow-up... A technician came out and diagnosed the problem as a bad compressor. According to the technician this is a common problem for this refer. A new compressor is now in and everything is running smoothly. Thank you for you help. Cheers
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply