Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BLT  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:35:31 PM(UTC)
BLT

Groups: Registered

Due to issues with depth,width, and height, I would like to keep my 40 yr. old GE refrigerator/top freezer going in it's confined nook.

The compressor runs constantly even though the Freezer temp is [ 8 degrees ] and the Fridge temp is [ 38 degrees ]. The compressor fan motor is also running slowly, tight bearing, so I would replace that.

All my research points to the Temp Control Thermostat. Is this the most likely problem? Or is there another switch or relay involved to make the compressor cycle off? How would I test the Temp Control Thermostat [WR9X355] with my digital meter?

Thanks, BLT
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 3:18:43 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Replace the condensing fan motor, then re-post the freezer temperature, should get down below zero.
BLT  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:27:23 PM(UTC)
BLT

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Replace the condensing fan motor, then re-post the freezer temperature, should get down below zero.

Thanks Richappy,

I replaced the condenser fan with a new one which is rated ar 1550 RPM. Faster than the old one but not as impressive a flow as I expected.

The freezer did get down to -2 degrees but the refregerator took several hours to reach this. I set the separate freezer and frig controls to slightly warmer settings and the compressor runs much less. About 55 minutes on and 65 minutes off. Freezer gets down to 8 degrees and up to 18 degrees btween cycles and frig gets to 38 and 42 between cycles.

It runs quietly so I think this is the best I can expect for a 42 yr. old GE.

I am curious? What cycle times do new refrigerators run at on average?

BLT
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:25:36 AM(UTC)
richappy

Your freezer temperature is too warm at 8 degrees to safely store meats and the fridg runs too long. A modern fridg will run about 20% of the time. I would estimate you are waisting around $80 a month. A new fridg would pay for itself in a few years and consume about $8 a month.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:27:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

Your freezer temperature is too warm at 8 degrees to safely store meats and the fridg runs too long. A modern fridg will run about 20% of the time. I would estimate you are waisting around $80 a month. A new fridg would pay for itself in a few years and consume about $8 a month.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply