Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jyhill  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:08:13 AM(UTC)
jyhill

Groups: Registered

Our GE gss25jfmc WW side-by-side began cooling poorly a couple of weeks ago. After doing some Web research, I figured the defrost heater was not working properly because the coils (behind a panel on the back inside wall of the freezer section) were iced over. After melting the ice with a hair dryer, mopping up the water and replacing the panel, both sides began cooling wonderfully. One of the comments I had read, however, noted that this likely would happen again within several days; it already did so once and seems to be icing up again.

I assume this confirms the diagnosis that the defrost heater is working improperly or not all. Do I need to test the heater to be sure, and if so, how do I test it? I have located the heater element (Heater & bracket asm, Part Number: AP3183311) in your catalog, but I need directions (as simple as possible, please) for removing the old and installing the new.

Any guidance you can provide will be much appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jyhill  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:31:34 PM(UTC)
jyhill

Groups: Registered

Perhaps I should add that water resulting from the defrosting cycle has been puddling on the shelf under the coils and running over onto the freezer floor, where it refreezes and turns into a sheet of ice. I have tried pouring water into the grommet drain tube and do not see it emptying into the floor pan viewed after removing the bottom metal panel on the back of the refrigerator. I assume this means the tube is blocked, which raises two main questions:
1. Does the fact that there is water puddling on the shelf and freezer floor suggest that the heater actually is working and melting the ice on the coils? If so, why does the ice eventually cover the coils and cause the cooling to be impaired? Is it likely the drain problem is related to our ice buildup and poor cooling problem? Do our results indicate the heater might be working somewhat but not enough to prevent the ice from finally taking over?
2. What can we do to fix the drain problem?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply