Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Turbotom  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:35:47 PM(UTC)
Turbotom

Groups: Registered

My girlfriends Refrigerator started the common problem of warm Refrigerator section and warming up freezer, So it looks like I have the common faulty defrost system.

I had her unplug the unit 2 days ago thinking if it kept running it may burn up something. I plugged it back in tonight and waited about 1.5 hours and than turned the knob on the defrost timer. The compressor shut off but I didn't hear the sizzle of defrosting ice dripping, prob because the unit did not run long enough to build up ice.

My question is, if the timer is bad , when you turn it to the defrost cycle wouldn't it not turn the compressor back on or does it only fail to click to the defrost setting. Everything turned back on after about 25 minutes.

I'm having her let it run overnight and told her to cycle it to the defrost setting in the morning and than wait about 15 minutes to see if she can hear anything defrosting or the "sizzling noise". If thats I no go, I'm going to trouble shoot further..

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:24:54 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

When the timer usually goes bad it does not run. When manually turned it will defrost but the timer never turns the unit back on and it won't go into defrost on it's on.

When you turn it to defrost, if the heater is coming on you may can see the red glow through the vents at the bottom back inside the freezer or even fill the heat on the lower back wall. If it doesn't come on the heater could be bad or the defrost thermostat could be bad. Both are located behind the back panel in the freezer.
Turbotom  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 7:31:11 AM(UTC)
Turbotom

Cool, Thanks Man.. Going to check the heater tonight and post back...

Without looking at the frig, to replace the heater and thermo are they replaced from behind the unit or from inside with the back wall removed? I'm sure I'll figure it out tonight, just trying to get a heads up..

Thanks,
Tom
woodchuckie  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 2:51:24 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Inside behind the back cover.
Turbotom  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:57:23 PM(UTC)
Turbotom

Man, I had to man handle that one heater wire at the bottom left a little bit. I'm sure there is a trick to getting them out, I hope I can figure out the trick to getting those wires from the bottom to the top whenever the parts come in.. To get that wire out, there was 2 screws I took out and that allowed evap to be moved a little. Heater was broke (open) on my meter.. I'm replacing the defrost thermo also...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply