Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SFUHRMAN  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 2:54:02 PM(UTC)
SFUHRMAN

Groups: Registered

i have an amana upright freezer that has always iced up the inside since new. water from the evaporator drips into the drip pan and freezes up BEFORE it will run down the tube. Many times I have thawed and pour hot water down the drain tube and it is clear. Water just ices up before it can get away, please help
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 4:21:51 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi

I wonder if the defrost heater is not staying on long enough. This could be caused by the defrost thermostat opening up to soon.

Here is the service manual for your model freezer, may it will help.
http://appliancejunk.com...wnloads;sa=view;down=391
SFUHRMAN  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 5:31:31 PM(UTC)
SFUHRMAN

thank you, i will read through it and try to find something. Dealer I purchased it from said all of those models have that problem, just didn't metion it till AFTER i bought it. Wondered if all of them do have a design flaw or he just didn't want to take time to fix it. Do you know if that is a problem with this freezer and if there is a fix for it? It is my understanding that this freezer was made by the woods company and there are many other upright freezers designed the same way.
ApplianceJunk  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 5:41:57 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

In general I have seen this type of problem.

This is what I use to fix a lot of them.
http://appliancejunk.com...c=3772.msg15048#msg15048

But when I looked up your model it looks like it's got a glass tube type deforest heater so the above part will not work.

The way the above part works is you clamp it around the heating element (not a glass one) right above the defrost drain hole and feed the probe down the hole. The probe then heats up with the element and helps keep the hole from freezing shut.

But you can only use it on defrost heating element that look like a bake element.
SFUHRMAN  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:48:11 PM(UTC)
SFUHRMAN

Originally Posted by: ApplianceJunk Go to Quoted Post
In general I have seen this type of problem.

This is what I use to fix a lot of them.
http://appliancejunk.com...c=3772.msg15048#msg15048

But when I looked up your model it looks like it's got a glass tube type deforest heater so the above part will not work.

The way the above part works is you clamp it around the heating element (not a glass one) right above the defrost drain hole and feed the probe down the hole. The probe then heats up with the element and helps keep the hole from freezing shut.

But you can only use it on defrost heating element that look like a bake element.

Thanks so much for your help. Mine does have the glass tube type heater. Do you think I could switch out my heater and install this part to fix my problem? Might cost a little more but would be well worth it to fix this because it sure is a pain. Did the company that makes these freezers switch to a different kind of heater with this probe because they knew there was a problem? Just wonder if there is an update kit for my model.
Again thanks for your help, this is way more info than anyone else has gave me about this problem.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply