Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kstep818  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:47:49 PM(UTC)
kstep818

Groups: Registered

Opened refrigerator to spoiled food and frozen products. Here I go working on the fridge! It was making chearping noises and such before having major problem. After a little research it seemed the evaporator fan motor was bad. I replaced the motor! Tested the fridge and outcome is freezer is right @ 34 degrees right now, the fridge is right @ 58-62 degrees. Needless to say the motor must not be my only problem. From that point I have clean the condensor coils and the evaporator coils to make sure of good air flow. The evaporator fan does come on by the way. When I turn the dial on the compressor and the condersor fan come on at the same time which is said to be normal. I am not getting a heavy build up of Ice anywhere. A light frost on the evaporator coils! Still no air traveling up and to the refrigerator part as well as freezer not cold enough! I am in process of testing the defrost timer to make sure it cycles through, but it seems like the system is working. I have checked it periodically, and noticed at one point that it had defrosted. So I am trying to figure out what part I should try next? Like everyone else, I'm not wanting to pay those HIGH DOLLAR repair cost. So I am trying to test efficiently and hope to be successfull without buying 3-4 new parts!:cool: :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Eddie365  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:27:39 PM(UTC)
Eddie365

You turn your T-stat on both fans should come on little after the compressor kicks on. another thing I do is on the discharge side I put my hand on the line just to feel if is heating up also you can take an amp meter and put it in on you hot line going into the compressor you should get between 1.8 and 2.2amps. lower than 1.8 means you can have a leak and your fridge won't go down on temperature.
kstep818  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:50:45 AM(UTC)
kstep818

Okay I can check that. As of this morning the temperature in my freezer is -5 degrees below 0. After cleaning all my coils (evaporator and condenser) last night the freezer went to 20 degrees to 10 degrees and now this morning -5 degrees. So freezer seems to be working fine! However, the fridge is still work in progress. I am checking the temperature on the bottom part of fridge now it seems to be getting cold. The vent blowing in the air on the water resivor tube is cold and blowing so it is making the bottom part cool, but the vent on top is not blowing anything really doesn't even feel like cool air coming in. I think if I could get air to the top of the fridge it would be right. My concern is I think the fridge is running constantly because it is not cold enough in the fridge to tell the thermostat to shut it off.
Eddie365  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:19:10 PM(UTC)
Eddie365

Hi. This refrigerator runs on a timer usually 6 hour 8 hour 12 hour some even 16 hour before going into defrost, and the t-stat will cycle the refrigerator on and off. the air will be taken from the freezer to the refrigerator so if you dont get air blowing into the freezer temperature will still go down in the freezer.
woodchuckie  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:49:12 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

kstep818  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 3:01:04 PM(UTC)
kstep818

I have jumpered the t-stat and same outcome. I tested continuity on T-stat as well. Is seems to be good! The refrigerator knob turns the damper up and down very well. I've checked for blockage and cold out of the damper, but still nothing. I am under the impression that the coils are frosting a little to much and not creating the air flow for the evaporator fan to push the air into the top vent hole that leads to the fridge side.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply