Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dieselgg  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:25:05 PM(UTC)
dieselgg

Groups: Registered

The Amana refrigerator (bottom freezer), model # BX21TW, it is about 11 years old. The freezer is not cooling. The termp dial was turned to the highest cold setting and after two days the temp measured 34F.

Also in the freezer compartment there is a sound that can be heard which is similar to water hitting something that is very hot. Something like a sizzling sound or water when it hits a very hot manifold.

In the meantime I can check the to see the evaporator or the condenser fan is running. I just thought I would post in case I missed something.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:13:13 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Your evaporator coils frost up in normal use and every eight hours or so the entire unit shuts down and the defrost heater comes on to melt the frost. This cycle last about 20 minutes.

The noise would be the water hitting the shields on the heater although this shouldn't last for over the 20 minutes of the defrost cycle since all the ice should be melted by then.

After the cycle is finished the fans have to come back on to properly cool the freezer.

It won't cool properly also if all the ice is not melted.
hazimalac  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:26:32 AM(UTC)
hazimalac

Originally Posted by: dieselgg Go to Quoted Post
The Amana refrigerator (bottom freezer), model # BX21TW, it is about 11 years old. The freezer is not cooling. The termp dial was turned to the highest cold setting and after two days the temp measured 34F.

Also in the freezer compartment there is a sound that can be heard which is similar to water hitting something that is very hot. Something like a sizzling sound or water when it hits a very hot manifold.

In the meantime I can check the to see the evaporator or the condenser fan is running. I just thought I would post in case I missed something.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to Dieselgg: Bottom freezer not cooling is my problem too. (I posted yesterday JULY 13TH) Did you ever resolve the issue? woodchuckie gave me some suggestions to check further.
dieselgg  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:46:09 AM(UTC)
dieselgg

I was troubleshooting on behalf of a friend. I told him to check those items out but he had no time to actually do it. I think he ended up calling a service technician.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply