Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
asteward64  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 5:48:56 PM(UTC)
asteward64

Groups: Registered

I have had my side by side refrigerator for 2-1/2 years. Today, I went to get some water from the water dispenser and it did not come out. The light above the "water" symbol was flashing. When I opened the refrigerator to see if I could figure out what was going on, none of the lights at the top of the refrigerator indicating the temperature were on. All black. I do not hear the motor coming on except for at a 1/2 second interval (as if it is trying to come on). I think it is the electronic system, but I just don't know.

Help! What can I do!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 6:01:25 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If your evaporator and condensing fans are running, but not the compressor, just remove the start relay on the side of the compressor and shake it. If it rattles it's bad, just replace it, make sure you get the factory replacement relay.
Your other problems may be due to a loose connector.
asteward64  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 6:17:03 PM(UTC)
asteward64

thank you for your prompt reply we are taking the back portion of the refrigerator off so that we can look in it for a moment. I don't hear any noise coming from the refrigerator AT ALL. No fans, motors, or anything. So, I will check and ask questions in a moment so that you can hopefully answer if you are still available. Thank you for your prompt reply!
misterfixall  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 6:26:02 PM(UTC)
misterfixall

possibly the control board at back of fridge part # wr55x10552 is problem, this board controls power to main components
asteward64  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 6:29:03 PM(UTC)
asteward64

We have taken the panel off the back of the refrigerator and the compressor is not working. The only thing we hear that comes on is near the top part of the refrigerator that sounds like a faint motor that is trying to come on. Any other ideas?
asteward64  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 6:42:03 PM(UTC)
asteward64

how can we tell exactly what the problem is - I don't know if buying parts and then replacing them is the way I should attempt this. Any other ideas about how to troubleshoot this - I think we'll lose all our Christmas leftovers and all others items tonight.
misterfixall  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 7:12:08 PM(UTC)
misterfixall

the board is seperate .behind stainless steel panel held down by three screws on left side .i feel you may need a certified tech to diagnose this problem
asteward64  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 8:20:22 PM(UTC)
asteward64

I think you're right. Do you think it will be a sealed system problem which would be covered by warranty (evaporator, condenser, compressor, and all connecting tubing). If this is not covered by warranty, then I may as well get a non-GE certified tech. What do you think?
Gene  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 8:21:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The first thing I would do is remove the cover from the control board (# 803 on the sealed system and mother board break down diagram) and visually inspect the control board for a burned parts and/or connections.

Most likely the problem with your fridge is the bad control board.

- The part number for the main control board (aka mother board) is
AP3950129

Good luck.
Gene.
richappy  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:08:45 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The pro's recommend you replace the evaporator fan and thermistor and the motherboard at the same time. GE has made sure a bad evaporator fan motor will blow out the motherboard. Also a good idea to make a slinger/umbrella out of some semi-soft,round plastic and stick it on the motor shaft to prevent bearing failures from moisture. Also stick a 1000 joule surge protector on the power outlet.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply