Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shellymoe  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 9:56:44 AM(UTC)
shellymoe

Groups: Registered

I had a detailed post written out and for some reason I was no longer logged in so it didn't save the post. For that reason, I'm now going to write a condensed version...

We noticed a louder-than-usual buzzing noise coming from the freezer area of the refrigerator on Friday. Friday night we had warm milk, but the freezer is keeping pefect temperature. For the most part, the frosting on the coils appeared normal but it did seem heavier at the top of the coils and on the copper tubing on the right side of the evaporator. Two different types of ohm meters gave 2 different results (one gave readings around 2.4 on the red & blue wires, the other gave a reading of OL).

When I plugged the freezer fan back in, it ran for about 15 seconds then stopped. My uncle suggested I plug and unplug the fan a few times since he thought he noticed some corrosion on the connections. The fan did spin for a fraction of a second one of the times I plugged it back in, but nothing since.

Could a faulty freezer fan motor cause the extra frost and fridge to be warm?

Thanks for any help/insight you can offer!

Follow-up: We found a link to appliance-repair-it.com and followed the fan motor diagnostic instructions. For testing both the main board and the evaporator fan motor, we got 0. We're assuming this means we need to replace the main board, but do I need to replace the fan motor too?

Update: I decided to put the freezer back together since having a working freezer is better than nothing. As I moved the Inset Air Fz into position, the fan came on for a few seconds then stopped again. It did this several times as I continued to move the Inset Air Fz. There are 5 wires (2 red, 2 orange & 1 thin green & yellow) that originate from the ceiling of the freezer and end at the light bulb. Could a short in one of these wires be the culprit? Also, what are all of these wires for?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.