Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bull-37  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:40:28 AM(UTC)
Bull-37

Groups: Registered

Fan in freezer is running, Fan near compressor is running, unit not cooling either side at all, hearing the clicking noise from the relays but the compressor will not run, removed the relays onto the compressor and hear no noises while shaking them. The compressor was very hot and now the unit is unplugged, can I hook a test cord to see if the compressor will start, or what is the procedure to test the relays, Thanks for the help
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:26:31 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Bull-37  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:30:28 PM(UTC)
Bull-37

Groups: Registered

Thanks WoodChuckie, But my parts are from a solid state refrigerator, my relay is piggybacked with the thermal overload protection relay, any ideas come to mind
woodchuckie  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:39:45 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

I don't know how other than to get a qualified tech to do it.You can test thecompressor and if it test ok, replace the relay. It's the cheapest at 27 dollars. I found this on a google search.
using a digital ohmmeter, you pull the compressor's relay and overload off its three terminals, then check the resistance between each of these three pins.

First note the two pins that read the highest resistance. The one that remains is the 'common', to which one end of both the start and main windings connect. (The common's not always the top pin, so you'll want to do this test to be sure)

Reading from that common to each of the other two, carefully note each reading. Then measure back across the two with the highest resistance, ignoring the common. That reading should be the exact total of the two individual coil readings, because you're reading through both coils in series now.

If those two sets of readings aren't within about 1/2 ohm of each other, then one of the compressor windings is shorted, and if it runs at all, it'll run hot and usually end up short-cycling on its overload protector.

The only solution, if that’s the case, is compressor replacement -
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply