Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MichaelS  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:12:53 AM(UTC)
MichaelS

Groups: Registered

Two weeks ago I replaced the defrost timer and defrost heater in this bottom freezer refrigerator. All was fine for a few days. It went through a defrost cycle. The problem is the evaporator fan stops spinning. I remove the plastic "grill" and touch the fan base. It's vibrating and hot. I push up on the bottom of the fan and it starts spinning. I replace the cover and I'm good for a while (hours to days) but this procedure is getting old. If I tighten the screws holding the fan up it stops altogether and won't spin in any position. I loosen the screws and it starts spinning. This is head-scratcher for me. If I replace the fan, won't I have the same problem mounting the new one?

Any help would be appreciated.

MichaelS
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:41:04 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

I would experiment with it, putting spacers(washers) in different positions to change the attitude of the fan to the shroud.
MichaelS  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:58:49 PM(UTC)
MichaelS

Woodchuckie,

Thanks for the quick response. After I first put in the new parts, I cut some packaging foam (the sponge-like kind, not styrofoam) and put a pillar (about 3" tall) from the fins on the evaporator to the underside of the fan to support the fan in place. After a week and everything was working I was uncomfortable about my fix and removed the pillar and after a few days the fan began stopping intermittently until I'd reach in and push up on its bottom. Do you think my foam pillar would be OK as a permanent solution?

Also, I'd sure like to know why the fan's operation is so sensitive to its position on the mounting, if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks again.
MichaelS
woodchuckie  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:20:19 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

I think it would be OK as long as it doesn't change the air flow by making a gap which would cause less air to be blown across the coils.
MichaelS  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:21:24 PM(UTC)
MichaelS

Thanks, I'll give it a try and post what happens.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply