Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tochenduszko  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:10:23 PM(UTC)
tochenduszko

Groups: Registered

About a month ago, freezer was fine but the refrigerator was warm. After reading here, replaced the defrost timer. Everything was great. Today (a month later) I came home and the refrigerator was at 60 degrees again. Checked the freezer and it is totally frosted up again. Please help.
Thank you,
Sue
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:48:20 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Now you need to check the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat. How to here>Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com
denman  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 6:12:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sometimes you can see that the defrost thermostat is no good, it will be bulged up.
This can cause it to go intermittent.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
tochenduszko  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 1:17:00 PM(UTC)
tochenduszko

Multimeter is not working properly, but thermostat was bulging so replaced it and now hoping that did the trick.
Thank you so much for thee help.
Sue
tochenduszko  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:22:34 PM(UTC)
tochenduszko

Well, it's been about a month and a half and frig is back up to 60 degrees again. Themostat and timer have both been replaced and defrost heater comes on in manual defrost mode.
A new frig is definetly not in the budget so any suggestions are greatly appreciated,
Sue

Originally Posted by: tochenduszko Go to Quoted Post
About a month ago, freezer was fine but the refrigerator was warm. After reading here, replaced the defrost timer. Everything was great. Today (a month later) I came home and the refrigerator was at 60 degrees again. Checked the freezer and it is totally frosted up again. Please help.
Thank you,
Sue
richappy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:31:12 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Manually turn the defrost timer to defrost (compressor will stop running). Check for defrost action, if none, replace the defrost heater and check defrost thermostat wiring.
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:11:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I would also remove the evaporator cover and check the evaporator coils.
If they are not heavily frosted/iced up, odds are you do not have a defrost problem. In order for them to cause a problem they have to be heavily frosted so that the evaporator fan cannot pull\push air through them.

Check to be sure that the evaporator fan is running, this can also cause the fridge section to warm up as no cold air is pushed into the fresh food section.

When it warmed up was the compressor running, if not perhaps your thermostat is intermittent.

I could not find info on this unit but if the freezer section temperature is OK and just the fresh food section is warm check to see if you have a device/assembly which regulates the amount of cold air from the freezer going into the fresh food section, perhaps it is sticking closed.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
tochenduszko  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:49:44 PM(UTC)
tochenduszko

Freezer does defrost when I turn it manually, and thermostat wires were good when thermostat was replaced last month.

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Manually turn the defrost timer to defrost (compressor will stop running). Check for defrost action, if none, replace the defrost heater and check defrost thermostat wiring.
tochenduszko  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:59:31 PM(UTC)
tochenduszko

The area has been completely frosted up each time the frig warmed up.

The fan is running.

I do not know if the compressor was running or not. When my son got home he noticed that the thermometer I have had in the frig (since this all started) was up to 60 degrees again.

I do have my manual, but it is very basic. I will check to see if there is any info on a regulator.

Thank you again for your time,
Sue

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
I would also remove the evaporator cover and check the evaporator coils.
If they are not heavily frosted/iced up, odds are you do not have a defrost problem. In order for them to cause a problem they have to be heavily frosted so that the evaporator fan cannot pull\push air through them.

Check to be sure that the evaporator fan is running, this can also cause the fridge section to warm up as no cold air is pushed into the fresh food section.

When it warmed up was the compressor running, if not perhaps your thermostat is intermittent.

I could not find info on this unit but if the freezer section temperature is OK and just the fresh food section is warm check to see if you have a device/assembly which regulates the amount of cold air from the freezer going into the fresh food section, perhaps it is sticking closed.
richappy  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:39:28 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Get the part # from the defrost timer and order it at this site, old timer probably not advancing.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply