Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
asrstech  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 1:19:11 AM(UTC)
asrstech

Groups: Registered

I bought it new less than 2 yrs ago. Its a bottom mounted freezer.

It appears, no matter what setting I set on the freezer OR refrigerator the temps aways appear on the low end. Normal setting is 4 out of 1 to 7 on both the freezer and fridge.

Freezer keeps things in the 9f temp range, no matter what the temp setting is.

Ice buildup on top/right corner of freezer
UserPostedImage

After the removal of the rear freezer panel
UserPostedImage

After the ice defrosted
UserPostedImage

Turned unit back on, freezer setting is at 1 and fridge at 3. Fridge temp has leveled off at 40f degrees. Freezer is at 8f degrees.
I did notice the fan in the freezer is turning but slowly. It creates next to no breeze and I can see the blades turning.

I see the defrost thermostat and am wondering is it this or maybe the fan motor just turns too slowly to be effective?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ScottEge  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 10:20:37 AM(UTC)
ScottEge

These pictures are nice. You said your fan motor runs slow, it needs replacement. Amana has replaced that motor with a faster and more dependable motor. The defrost thermostat looks be a issue in this case because of the amount of ice surrounding it. It basically opens and closes the defrost circuit based on the temperature rateing on it's side. I think this thermostat has a brown and orange wire which carries 120vdc when timer is in defrost. It may not be sensing the coreect temperature of the coil. and not fully defrosting. You probably should have a technician check the sealed system over to make sure there are no problems there
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:37:52 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull out the evaporator motor and plug it in the wall outlet, if it runs fine, you have other problems.
asrstech  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:36:55 PM(UTC)
asrstech

I found the troubleshooting directions and went through a self diagnostic testing via the control board. Tested was the Defrost Thermostat, Compressor/Condensor Fan test, Evaporator/Freezer Fan test, Fresh Food Thermistor test, Freezer Thermistor test, Open Damper test and all tested good or within specs except for the Defrost Thermostat test. You can test for open or shorted (closed). Test came back Shorted. Diagram shows Defrost Thermostat to be shorted when "Below 12F degrees (closed) and Open when "Above 42F degrees.

So I am hoping its only the Defrost Thermostat.

On the negative side, I spoke with the appliance parts guy and he said if it iced up in the corner like the above photo, sounds like its the compressor or the compressor fan not working correctly. Hope not.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Originally Posted by: ScottEge Go to Quoted Post
These pictures are nice. You said your fan motor runs slow, it needs replacement. Amana has replaced that motor with a faster and more dependable motor. The defrost thermostat looks be a issue in this case because of the amount of ice surrounding it. It basically opens and closes the defrost circuit based on the temperature rateing on it's side. I think this thermostat has a brown and orange wire which carries 120vdc when timer is in defrost. It may not be sensing the coreect temperature of the coil. and not fully defrosting. You probably should have a technician check the sealed system over to make sure there are no problems there
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply