Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
roadsendmom  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:05:13 AM(UTC)
roadsendmom

Groups: Registered

I have a Montgomery Wards.. 20.1 cubic side by side fridge/freezer. I was told years ago that this was actually a Maytag. I bought it in 1983 and besides a few problems like a fan going out, it has always worked well. 3 days ago my fridge started getting warm. The freezer is still going well. I have kept a gage it in for years because of the age. What would make a oldie like this quit:confused: Thanks for any ideas
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kooler  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:42:43 PM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

Check the inside rear wall cover in the freezer for a frost buildup, you can remove this cover to view the evaporator coil to see if it's iced up.. If so then you're having defrost issues... Locate the defrost timer, usually in the fridge compartment but not listing a model number makes it anybody's guess.. There's a knob on the timer that turns CW to a noticeable click which is the defrost cycle, make note of the time and inspect defrost heater under evaporator coil in the freezer for any signs of heating up... If the timer doesn't bring the compressor back on after 35 minutes or less then that would indicate a defective timer... Look for a part number on the timer and input it into APPros number search... If the heater doesn't heat up then you may have a defective heater or defrost end thermostat... Try to find a model number for this fridge... Use a hair dryer to remove the ice buildup...
Good luck, kooler
kawfeeman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:04:48 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

remember most manufacturers do not recommend refrigerators in environments that the temps drop below 55 deg f as slugging can occur which may harm your compressor ..
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply