Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EdP  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:54:39 AM(UTC)
EdP

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I justed replaced the water inlet valve kit (Part Number AP3160649) on my KitchenAid Side by Side refrigerator. No leaks. Water is turned on at main valve and refrigerator water supply line. The water from the new water inlet repair kit will not push water up through the hose to the water dispenser on the front of the refrigerator. I have depressed the water dispenser for 12 minutes to flush air out of the line and no water comes out. Also, the ice maker is not filling up with water to make ice. I have also removed the water line that feeds the ice maker and flushed it out to make sure there was no ice in line. The water dispenser produced water with the old water inlet valve. Now, the water for the icemaker and water dispenser is not working. Please help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:10:00 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Do you hear the water valve solenoid opening when you try the water dispenser.

Make sure the wire mesh strainer didn't get stopped up with sediment with the disturbance of replacing the valve.
EdP  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:15:07 AM(UTC)
EdP

When I depress the water dispenser, I can hear the solenoid, sounds like a pumping sound.
Where is the wire mesh strainer?
woodchuckie  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:31:11 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

The screen is in the water inlet valve where your water supply goes in. You can also disconnect the line coming out of the valve and see if water comes out when you try the dispenser.
EdP  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:33:31 AM(UTC)
EdP

The water inlet valve is brand new out of the box today. The mesh wire in the valve can't be clogged. I've taken the water line off of the water inlet valve and tried to dispense water and a puff off water comes out then just dripping. The same happens in the water dispenser, it just drips out. The ice tray is not filling up as is the water dispenser is not dispensing water. Could this new water valve repair kit be defective out of the box?

Before we get too far off track: Initial problem: Ice maker fill tube freezing up. Water dispenser working. Replaced water inlet valve with appliance partpro water valve repair kit, (new water valve). Took out fill tube for icemaker and ran hot water through it to verify clear passage. Put back icemaker fill tube. Now, no water to icemaker and no water to water dispenser. Verified water to water valve. Unplugged water line at bottom of front door and ran water dispenser, water drips very slowly out of line. Unplugged water at water valve for water dispenser and ran water dispenser, water trickles out of water valve. Took off all tubing to new water valve and all passage ways are clear. It seems that the water will not leave the new water valve. What am I missing?
woodchuckie  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:56:32 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

It may very well be a defective valve not opening all the way although if it were me I would check the screen when I took it off to return. You could also check it with a multi-meter as per these instructions. Refrigerator Repair Guide: How to Check the Water Inlet Valve - ACME HOW TO.com
EdP  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:00:00 PM(UTC)
EdP

I took the water valve off and checked all the hose connections. Everyone of them have clear passage and the mesh screen is completely clear. I manually filled the ice maker with water and after the ice dropped into the bin, I heard the water kick on to fill the ice bin but no water came out. The water dispenser also gives an initial sound of water flow but only drips a drop of water about once every 3 seconds. Tested the water valve and by the intructions of the test it showed that the water valve is defective. Will be sending back for a replacement.
EdP  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 8:22:32 AM(UTC)
EdP

For Water Inlet Valve Kit AP3160649, what should the ohm's reading be for the 1/4" tube solenoid for the ice maker and the 5/16" tube solenoid for the water dispenser?

I have received new water inlet valve and before installing new valve I took ohm readings. Here they are: The green solenoid (water dispenser) (W2) for the 5/16" hose measures 268 ohm's and the red solenoid (ice maker) (W1) for the 1/4" hose measures 191 ohm's. Do these readings mean I have a good water inlet valve? What should each solenoid ohm range be?

Thank you
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply