Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kathy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 6:59:41 PM(UTC)
Kathy

Groups: Registered

This refrigerator was purchased January 2006 and was not even taken from the box until April 2006 after our remodeling was done. Within 6 to 8 months I was having to take the ice compartment from the fridge and wash it with warm water to loosen the ice because it would be frozen solid and would not dispense through the door. Fast forward to April 2007 and I started looking for answers on the internet because evidently this was a problem as I was having to do it more often. I read somewhere that there was a flaw in the flapper system for this model and if you could look from the inside of the chute and see any daylight, then this would be the cause of my problem. Well, you could not only see daylight, I could see the cabinets, floor, etc. as there was that much space between the flapper being closed. A few days later little black toggle looking thing that appears to have a small gasket or washer attached fell out into the tray on the front where you set your glass for dispensing. Is there a fix for this without replacing the entire door as I have read elsewhere? For a few months now the fix has been a dishtowel stuffed tightly in the hole and you reach inside to get your ice. I went to the store last night and looked at the Whirlpools and the flapper design seems to have changed since my version. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kawfeeman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:22:28 PM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

try calling Whirlpool.. ask them if there is anything that they can do given the age of the unit ... best to have the manufacturer send out factory service to repair the problem..
Kathy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:52:02 PM(UTC)
Kathy

Thanks for the quick response. I will call them first thing in the morning but I am not going to hold my breath in anticipation of them fixing my problem. I figure in the end it is my problem and will be for me to get it fixed. The salesman at the store last night where I bought it said that it didn't matter when it was installed. Warranty was only good for one year from purchase date.
kawfeeman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:53:06 PM(UTC)
kawfeeman

you send in the warranty card that came with the refrige ?
Kathy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:11:20 PM(UTC)
Kathy

yes I did.
kawfeeman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:22:35 PM(UTC)
kawfeeman

well if you call them in the morning, see what they are willing to give you ? be persistent and nice .. you go further with 'honey' then you do with 'vinegar' ... then depending on what they give you, make a decision as to what you want to do .. but they'll usually give you a parts concession at minimum... what state are you from ?
Kathy  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 2:56:56 AM(UTC)
Kathy

Thanks! I will call them and be very nice. I would love to have my fridge fixed. I am in TN.
kawfeeman  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 5:03:49 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

good luck...
Kathy  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 8:07:48 PM(UTC)
Kathy

I contacted Whirlpool. Here is what is supposed to happen. They agreed to pay for the part, whatever it is. They were supposed to fax info to the authorized represenative that I chose. They told me to give them 2 hours to allow them to fax info before calling and making my appointment with them. After 3 hours I called and the repair company had not heard from them yet. I did go ahead and tried to arrange for them to come check out my fridge tomorrow. i will be paying for the service call and the parts too if Whirlpool don't follow through. I will update.
kawfeeman  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:26:23 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

just follow through with whirlpool, it is Xmas time and svc companies are scrambling...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply