Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gary_S  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2009 7:15:00 AM(UTC)
Gary_S

Groups: Registered

Hi, maybe someone can enlighten me to this curious situation: My 6-7 yo bottom-freezer Amana had been making humming sounds recently (click - buzzzzz - click). Last week it was louder than normal. I knew something was going and the next day it stopped cooling. I called a repair tech. He listened to it cycle and proclaimed the problem to be the compressor. $700 job; not worth it; buy a new frig. I thanked him and paid the $35 house call fee, then started doing research. In places like here the relay is often mentioned, so I figured what the heck, and bought a replacement relay without testing the old one, replaced it, and plugged back in the frig - it had been unplugged for 2-3 days. Nothing. No sound, no fan, nothing. I put back in the old one. Still nothing. I then gave up and resigned myself to buying a new frig. When I came back into the kitchen it was working! I confirmed that it was cooling, too. Now it's 3 days later and everything's fine. Not only that, but there's no buzzing sounds. No relay trying to cycle on and off. Everything is working properly with the old relay. How is that possible, and how long can I expect this to continue?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.