Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hotrod427  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:54:40 PM(UTC)
hotrod427

Groups: Registered

If any of you can help me identify this equipment, maybe point me toward some technical manuals, operators manuals, parts, or any other information or contacts you may have that can help me carry forward on my restoration progect. that would be greatly appreciated! The model ( don't know the year of manufacture) is :cat 32EB8-1... AC-82-AA16 / 73-097-933. That's all the identifyible marks I was able to find. The unit is in wonderful shape, and has been taken very good care of. The problems are : the door gasket, the original paint is dirty and faded, and I was wondering that if I refit the unit with a modern compressor unt and evaporator core, what style of cooling unit is suited for this kind of swap? Also, if I go to that much trouble, should I also upgrade the insulation? What type should be used, and how should it
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

October27  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 3, 2012 9:40:22 AM(UTC)
October27

We just bought that same fridge. It's in great working condition. Do you know how old it is?
HotPoint51  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:17:16 AM(UTC)
HotPoint51

Originally Posted by: hotrod427 Go to Quoted Post
If any of you can help me identify this equipment, maybe point me toward some technical manuals, operators manuals, parts, or any other information or contacts you may have that can help me carry forward on my restoration progect. that would be greatly appreciated! The model ( don't know the year of manufacture) is :cat 32EB8-1... AC-82-AA16 / 73-097-933. That's all the identifyible marks I was able to find. The unit is in wonderful shape, and has been taken very good care of. The problems are : the door gasket, the original paint is dirty and faded, and I was wondering that if I refit the unit with a modern compressor unt and evaporator core, what style of cooling unit is suited for this kind of swap? Also, if I go to that much trouble, should I also upgrade the insulation? What type should be used, and how should it

I have a similar refrigerator that was my parents since it was new. It is a Hot Point AF-82-AA16. I didn't know the year until I had to work on the thermostat. The thermostat is dated January of 1951. Based on the model perhaps yours is a little older. Did you retrofit yours? I just started mine after it hadn't been run in 20 years. I verified it worked by bypassing the thermostat and seeing the freezer hit -5F in less than an hour. I then disassembled the thermostat and found it was sticking. I cleaned and lubricated it with WD40 and it worked fine. The fridge looks like new on the inside and good on the outside after cleaning the outside with Wegman's Cleaner with Bleach, automotive polishing compound, and car wax. Common wisdom is that these and expensive to run. I have a "Kill-a-Watt" meter that looks atcurrent draw, cycle time, and has my electric rates and according to it the fridge will cost $14 per year to run (after a 24 Hour run time). That compares to $34 for my 20 cubic foot basement fridge (1994) and about $65 per year for my 27 cubic foot kitchen refrigerator (2000). I am guessing that is because it is a smaller fridge with no auto defrost.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply