Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Arctica28  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 8:53:30 PM(UTC)
Arctica28

Groups: Registered

Hi. I have a question. I have looked thru the threads and really haven't found an answer to my question. I have a ge profile arctica refrigerator and I am noticing that when I replace the water filter the flow of water is fine, however after 5-6 months the flow diminishes drastically and the filter change light doesn't come on. Has this ever happened to anyone else?? Is this normal?? I read the literature that comes with the filter and it says that the filter should last a year and it's not. Can someone help me?? Thanks:mad:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:18:53 PM(UTC)
applianceman

The filter light comes on in a year from the time it is reset. This is no indications of how dirty the filter is. The filter says it will last a year but this depends on how dirty your water is. If have seem people with that same filter go 3 or 4 years without changing (I don’t recommend this) it and they don’t see a change in water pressure. Then I see others like you that have to change it twice a year to maintain water pressure. I am assuming when you change the filter the pressure goes back to normal. The only thing you can do is remove the filter completely and inserting the plug that came with the refrigerator. I don’t know if you have city water or a well but I actually tell my customers that have a well that they may have to replace the filter twice a year. Hope this helps!

For do-it-yourself appliance repair visit Appliance Repair Guide For All Major Home Appliances
Arctica28  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:06:15 PM(UTC)
Arctica28

HI again. I know that the indicator on the refrigerator doesn't really measure the dirtiness of the filter but I guess what I am asking is, is it odd for someone to have to replace the filter say every 5 months?? Does that seem like a malfunction of the refrigerator?? It has been doing this ever since the date of purchase.. I also have one of those self piercing saddle type valves that get installed on the copper tubing. Is that a problem or would it affect water flow at all?? Thanks
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:56:11 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Saddle valves are not the best but normally they work fair on copper line. You can make sure that you have good water pressure coming from that saddle valve. Cut the water off and take the line loose going refrigerator. Point it into a bucket or large pan to catch the water then turn the water back on. If you don’t get good water pressure change the saddle valve for an inline valve. Note that the inline valve will be better but it may or may not fix your problem.

It is a little odd to loose a noticeable amount of pressure in such a short time but I don’t think it is a problem with the refrigerator if everything goes back to normal when you replace the filter.
Qapla  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:23:12 AM(UTC)
Qapla

You never did say if you are on a well or city water, though this sometimes does not matter.

Have you had your water tested to see if it is hard water? It may be heavy with iron, lime or calcium, all of these can shorten the life of a water filter.

If you are on a well, sand can also clog a filter. Try filling a clear class with water from your kitchen sink tap. Let it sit. Check it for sediment. Try the sane thing with a glass from the water dispenser. After it sits, compare the two. This may let you see what the filter has to deal with.
Arctica28  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:31:29 AM(UTC)
Arctica28

HI again. I'm so sorry, the water we have is city water and it is hard water. Is it odd though to see a filter last that long?? thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply