Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
b1rdman75  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 4:45:30 PM(UTC)
b1rdman75

Groups: Registered

Water Continues To Drip From The Dispenser After Getting A Glass Of Water. Does The "panel" Come Off The Door To Reveal The Guts Of The Dispenser, Or Do You Just Replace The Entire Unit?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 5:51:47 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Check your water inlet valve on the back first. Disconnect the line coming out of it(usually on the left when looking at the back) Have someone try the water dispenser lever while you watch the water come out the valve and see if it keeps dripping after it's supposed to be off. It can be worn of have sediment keeping it from sealing good.
vincent08  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2012 3:24:51 PM(UTC)
vincent08

Mine would seep water out of the dispenser after I poured a glass of water and or the ice maker would use water. Not much, a few drops at first but it kept getting worse. I found out that there was a lime build-up in the dual solenoid water valve. To get to this valve, gain access to the back bottom of your fridge. Shut the water supply and pull the power cord. Remove the cardboard cover, disconnect all tubes connected to the valve unit and pull the electric plugs. Remove the 2 metal screws holding the valve assembly and pull it straight out (the other end of the valve assy is held by a key hole type slot). Now that you have the valves out, blow in the supply inlet and you should see if one of these valve is not making a perfect seal. Once you have this figured out, it is time to fix it. The valve are a sealed unit and opening them would wreck them but you don't need to take them apart. A replacement valve assy will set you back a $100 but there should be no need for a new valve. Not much in there can break. Just pour a little CLR or Lime out in the outlet port that lets air through and use a small tooth pick to push and release the valve plunger in and out. Put as much liquid as you can fit in and let it stand for a few hours until the calcium has dissolved. Work the plunger again to free the big stuff, rinse it all and blow to confirm that the seal is now perfect. Put it back together (easy, all the lines are colour coded. Make sure you don't have a leak and push your fridge back in its spot. Voila! P.S While you are in there, you may want to vacuum the condenser and all the dust you will see. You should have no shortage of dust... Also pour away a few glasses before you drink it. CLR tastes like "/$% UserPostedImage

Cheers
dbourne  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:02:15 AM(UTC)
dbourne

I had a slightly different fridge, but managed to follow your instructions and had some tips to add. This is all based on my particular fridge, but is probably generally applicable. All of this assumes you have opened up the back of the fridge and have access to both the main incoming valve and the split valves that go to the ice & water:

I disconnected the main inlet valve from its electrical connections - that let me use the split valve electrical connections to open and close the valves, both for testing and then later to work out any calcium buildup.

For a final rinse, you can do that before you reconnect the tubing to the ice maker & dispenser - this saves you needing to rinse through the entire tubing system and instead lets you just flush the valve. You can swap the electrical wire from the dispenser to the ice maker valve to let you rinse that side too and make sure you don't have any CLR trapped down in that valve.

Thanks so much for the info and troubleshooting help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply