Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Caruser25  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2009 5:54:18 AM(UTC)
Caruser25

Groups: Registered

What exactly is triggering error code dE on this appliance? Every few days this error code appears on my display, however the refrigerator is working OK. I can reset the code only by unplugging my refrigerator and then it is gone for a few days. After 2-3 days it appears again. The manual tells only to call for service and does not explain what is causing this to happen.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:28:28 PM(UTC)
applianceman

This means that there has been no current flow through the defrost circuit in 48 hours. It can take up to 4 weeks for this to become a problem that you would notice. After you clear the code the code will reappear after another 48 hours. The common causes for this is open defrost heater or open defrost thermostat. If you do not fix this problem the freezer will ice up and block airflow. Refrigerator Not Cooling Repair Guide
Caruser25  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:22:15 PM(UTC)
Caruser25

Thanks. You are correct that about after 48 hrs the code appears again after I reset it. So measuring the defrost heater for continuity as well measuring the termostat should identify the culprit. At what temperatures should the defrost thermostat start opening and closing (opening meaning resistance high, closing resistance zero) or can I not check that with a normal ohmmeter that way ?
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:31:29 AM(UTC)
applianceman

The defrost thermostat should be closed if its not over 60 degrees. You can check it with an ohmmeter but if you melt the ice first it will probably be too warm to check. The heaters are more than likely the problem. You can check them the same way, they should closed (around 10-50 ohms I don’t know exact).
Caruser25  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2009 7:56:22 AM(UTC)
Caruser25

Both Defroster and Thermistor look OK. When I reset by unplugging, the defrost cycle is working, meaning it defrosts. I also hear de sissing sound when the unit is defrosting. The symptoms are that as long as the error code dE is displayed, the unit does not defrost at all, but after resetting (unplugging power) the unit defrosts normally.

Should I suspect the defrost timer ?
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2009 5:02:58 PM(UTC)
applianceman

If you turned the defrost timer into defrost and the heater came on the defrost timer is bad. If you checked the heater and the thermostat and they checked good the defrost timer is bad. It is a possibility that the code is coming up for no reason at all (bad control or sensor) but its not very likely.
Caruser25  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2009 9:38:15 AM(UTC)
Caruser25

OK. Today I as able to observe that while the dE error code was displayed, the unit defrosted normally, as indicted by the hissing sound in the freezer, during a defrost cycle.
So that rules out the timer as well, and only leaves the electronic circuitry, sensors etc. Is there a schematic available of these control board and circuitry? It might be a bad capacitor leaking current or so,

Or would you reccommend replacing the board completely?
applianceman  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2009 12:12:25 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I don’t think you can get a schematic of the control board and the control board has been discontinued. Since it is defrosting the control board just isn’t sensing that it’s doing so. Which means a bad control or sensor.
Caruser25  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2009 2:11:21 PM(UTC)
Caruser25

So this is end of life for this refrigerator then, after only about 7 years ? Ignoring the error code is the only way to go from here?

Is the sensor actually on the board, or separate, and is the board integrated with the display or is there another board?

Final question, since this part is no longer available, are there any places to search for a used part?

Thanks !
applianceman  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2009 5:40:39 PM(UTC)
applianceman

When I go into the shop tomorrow I will find out for sure if it is discontinued or not, sears website said it was. I will look it up in the GE book and let you know. I think the senor is in the freezer compartment (never seen one bad so paid little attention to its location) and I believe it is just a coil of wire that monitors current flow to the defrost heater.

The model number starts with TF, I would have thought it was older than that.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply