Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
engrguy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 10:08:48 AM(UTC)
engrguy

Groups: Registered

No water comes out the water dispenser. The ice maker makes and dispenses ice. The filter has water to it because if you press the small balck nub that the filter inacts when it is on then water will come out there (whihc where the filter should be at that time). It lights up in the dispense area when you push the water dispense button but nothing comes out. Any thoughts? No I did not change the filter as the ice maker was working so I figured it was ok (thinking the water for the door and the ice maker first pass through the filter). Also this happened after a power outage at the house. When the power came back on ithe water dispenser did not work any more,
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 12:25:20 PM(UTC)
applianceman

The most common thing that will cause this is that the line inside the door is frozen. To check this, remove the coupling at the bottom under the door then attempt to dispense water if water comes through the line the line is frozen inside the door. To fix this hook the line back up then open the door and press the door switch. Then press the lever to dispense water repeatedly until water comes. GE makes a heater that will prevent this from happening again the part number is WR49X10173. Note that a power outage will not cause this so you may have a different problem. GE Refrigerators Repair Guide
engrguy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 7:00:37 PM(UTC)
engrguy

you are my new hero!!! It has been frozen that way for 6 monthes. I did what you said with the switch in the door and held the water switch for 10 minutes and I had water!!! Thank you so much!!!!
Dendra  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 7:45:37 PM(UTC)
Dendra

I have this same problem, but the coupling will not come off. How do you safely remove the coupling with out destroying it or the water line?
applianceman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:31:19 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Dendra

At times these couplings can be hard to remove. But be sure you are removing it properly. I am assuming you have a newer refrigerator that has the push in coupling. You must depress the white ring on the end of the coupling while at the same time pull the line out. If it will not come out proceed with out doing so because this is just to confirm the problem so that you do not waste time trying to thaw out the line if its not frozen.
Dendra  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:13:37 PM(UTC)
Dendra

Ok, I got the line apart and water does come out of the line from the refrigerator, but the water dispenser still does not work even after leaving the line disconnected for a couple of days. Is there a valve somewhere in the line inside the freezer door that could be the problem?
woodchuckie  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:40:30 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

It's frozen up at the dispenser.To fix this hook the line back up then open the door and press the door switch. Then press the lever to dispense water repeatedly until water comes. This may take a while.
Dendra  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:39:49 PM(UTC)
Dendra

Thanks WoodChuckie! Your fix worked. I have been trying this solution for several days and last night I decided to give it one more shot. I stood in the kitchen for thirty minutes with the freezer door open and my finger on the door switch, while I pushed the dispenser over and over. I gave up and went to bed. This morning, the water dispenser worked! The clue you gave was, "This will take some time".
Thanks, from the bottom of my water glass (and my heart)
Dendra
woodchuckie  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:54:04 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

I'm glad it finally worked but I can't take the credit as I think I copied that from denman. It could happen again. I've heard of some people taping some insulation inside the freezer door where the water dispenser is to prevent if from happening again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply