Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chad h  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 11:00:37 AM(UTC)
chad h

Groups: Registered

My divider was getting very hot...disassembled rear cover and removed condenser cooling fan, replaced fan and it still did not run. i checked voltage on my plug coming from fridge. I have 2 red wires in one socket, 2 white wires in one socket and 1 yellow wire in one socket and the other is vacant....i am getting 13.5V DC on the red and white wires....i also get 13.5V DC on the red and yellow wires but i cant get this motor to run. I guess i could have gotten a bad motor from the shop....is there something im missing?.....i thought about replacing mother board but its exspensive plus i hate to do this when i am getting voltage to the output plug for the motor....i also checked plugs on motor and fridge.....thanks for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:41:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Did you replace the condensing motor?
chad h  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:32:03 AM(UTC)
chad h

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Did you replace the condensing motor?

i did....i guess its bad im waiting on another....since i have 13.5VDC at the plug it has to be the motor unless im missing something.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:24:58 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Go to web site GE Refrigerator Fan Motor Diagnostics for info on this, you might need to replace the fan motor and motherboard.
Your condensing fan might need a square wave signal the motherboard must provide, it will measure 1/2 the normal 12 volts. Also, a resister will blow open on the board if it's bad.
Unfortunately, the schematic will not indicate which motor is used, a permanent magnet dc motor, or a induction motor needing a square wave to run.
chad h  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:35:00 PM(UTC)
chad h

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Go to web site GE Refrigerator Fan Motor Diagnostics for info on this, you might need to replace the fan motor and motherboard.
Your condensing fan might need a square wave signal the motherboard must provide, it will measure 1/2 the normal 12 volts. Also, a resister will blow open on the board if it's bad.
Unfortunately, the schematic will not indicate which motor is used, a permanent magnet dc motor, or a induction motor needing a square wave to run.

If i put an alternate 12 volts on this motor it should run i but it doesnt...i read in some of the forums on this website that a person bench tested his motors and he got 2 bad ones and the third worked on the bench test and in the fridge so im gonna try one more...i will also check this site you gave and see what i can figure out....thanks alot for your help...
chad h  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:55:52 PM(UTC)
chad h

Originally Posted by: chad h Go to Quoted Post
If i put an alternate 12 volts on this motor it should run i but it doesnt...i read in some of the forums on this website that a person bench tested his motors and he got 2 bad ones and the third worked on the bench test and in the fridge so im gonna try one more...i will also check this site you gave and see what i can figure out....thanks alot for your help...

i checked that site....thanks thats awesome....cut and dry....i believe its my control board...thanks!!!!
chad h  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:10:23 PM(UTC)
chad h

according to the site you should have 12VDC on red and white......and 12VDC on white and yellow...i only have it on red and white.....i will try the board.....thanks for all your help
chad h  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 9:42:58 AM(UTC)
chad h

it ended up being the motherboard....when i tried putting new motor on old board it must have blown the motor....i would suggest to everyone...check voltage from motherboard before putting on new motor...the GE motor test websight helped alot. Thanks for all the help!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply