Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RobertR70  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:42:52 AM(UTC)
RobertR70

Groups: Registered

:confused:
side by side refrigerater, and freezing in the refrigerater, top shelf.

I ordered a new control box kit #5304482075 and installed it but now the damper door continuously opens and closes. Could the box kit I ordered be defective? I had diffficulty installing because I could not get the right or filter side to come down from the top of the refrigerater. I took the screw in the back loose and, I was wondering what do I do to get it to come down, to make it easier to install the new control should I have this situation in the future.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:16:30 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RobertR70 Go to Quoted Post

I ordered a new control box kit #5304482075 and installed it but now the damper door continuously opens and closes. Could the box kit I ordered be defective? I had diffficulty installing because I could not get the right or filter side to come down from the top of the refrigerater. I took the screw in the back loose and, I was wondering what do I do to get it to come down, to make it easier to install the new control should I have this situation in the future.

Robert,
We wouldn't expect you to have an issue with the new part. You may want to re check the work you did. Here's some help.

To remove the Control Housing Assembly, remove the
three screws across the front control box and the two

screws located in the rear control box.
The 2 housings will separate at the left back of the front
housing by sliding the rear housing to the right until the

buttons line up with the larger hole in the slots.

Here's how this damper operates :
When the food compartment control calls for cooling, the
contacts in the control will close sending a signal to the
ADC. The ADC then will start the damper motor running

to open the damper.
As the damper motor opens the damper, the switches on
the damper will change from NO (normally open) to the
NC (normally closed) position one at a time to prevent the
stopping of the motor in a 1/2 open position, as a result
of a power outage as the damper is opening or closing.
When both switches have reached the NC position, the

damper will be all the way open and the motor will stop.
The damper will remain open and the fan motor will
continue to run as long as the food compartment control
calls for cooling. Once the food compartment control is
satisfied, the contacts in the cold control will open. This
will break the signal to the ADC and start the damper
motor running again, closing the damper and shutting off

the freezer fan motor.

You will need to check and make sure everything is mounted and seated properly and there are nno loose connections.

:) :) :)
ranger3  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:29:13 AM(UTC)
ranger3

Originally Posted by: RobertR70 Go to Quoted Post

I have the same problem with the damper door running continuously with the new control box kit #5304482075.

I don't see how improper installation could cause this since it is pre-wired. The old assembly I removed was also doing this until it broke the gears that opened and closed the damper. So either the control of the damper is coming from somewhere else, or the part is defective.

Does anybody know what the cause/solution is to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Allen...
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:32:07 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: ranger3 Go to Quoted Post
I have the same problem with the damper door running continuously with the new control box kit #5304482075.

I don't see how improper installation could cause this since it is pre-wired. The old assembly I removed was also doing this until it broke the gears that opened and closed the damper. So either the control of the damper is coming from somewhere else, or the part is defective.

Does anybody know what the cause/solution is to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Allen...

Allen, here's a tech update from our files that should help explain the situation.

"If the kit is installed in older(2001) SxS refrigerator, and damper assembly is inoperative, or irratic,
You will need to move the damper motor switch harness(gray and gray/white wires) to the other switch(farthest away from the damper motor).
The remaining harness(blue and orange/white wires/two wire connector) will attach to the harness from the freezer compartment sensor, or tape off the connector and set aside in the control box assembly and not use the connector, if harness is not there.

In short, if your refrigerator does not have a freezer temperature sensor, you, you will need to move the damper motor harness to the opposite switch. It is very important to have a proper installation and seal to the new control box because, Your refrigerator temp. sensor is located in the control box. Improper air flow and temperatures in the box, due to a leak or air infiltration, can cause the damper to operate irratically.

Good Luck and Thanks,

PS. Apparently this additional information did not get posted to previous responses, in the Repair Forum, but now it will, Thanks
ranger3  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:47:04 AM(UTC)
ranger3

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Allen, here's a tech update from our files that should help explain the situation.

"If the kit is installed in older(2001) SxS refrigerator, and damper assembly is inoperative, or irratic,
You will need to move the damper motor switch harness(gray and gray/white wires) to the other switch(farthest away from the damper motor).
The remaining harness(blue and orange/white wires/two wire connector) will attach to the harness from the freezer compartment sensor, or tape off the connector and set aside in the control box assembly and not use the connector, if harness is not there.

Thank you for your response. Based on the information above, I was able to solve the damper door motor running constantly. I do have another issue, though.

First the solution. I have a 2003 Frigidaire. The damper control kit had the switch harness attached to the switch furthest from the motor. I moved it to the switch closest to the motor and now the damper door functions correctly. I haven't even scewed it back into the side of the refrig. and it is working as expected.

Now my current problem. Before I unscrewed the damper control kit, I noticed the refrig. wasn't very cold, even though I could hear it running. When I unscrewed the damper control kit, no air was coming from the freezer to the refrig. I know their should be because when I took the old one off a few days ago, their was. I let it run all night and when I woke up I checked it.

Both the freezer and refrig. were no longer cooling, even though the refrig. is runnning.

So now I'm wondering if it froze up, or something else went bad.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen...
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:05:16 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thank you for your response. Based on the information above, I was able to solve the damper door motor running constantly. I do have another issue, though.

First the solution. I have a 2003 Frigidaire. The damper control kit had the switch harness attached to the switch furthest from the motor. I moved it to the switch closest to the motor and now the damper door functions correctly. I haven't even scewed it back into the side of the refrig. and it is working as expected.

Now my current problem. Before I unscrewed the damper control kit, I noticed the refrig. wasn't very cold, even though I could hear it running. When I unscrewed the damper control kit, no air was coming from the freezer to the refrig. I know their should be because when I took the old one off a few days ago, their was. I let it run all night and when I woke up I checked it.

Both the freezer and refrig. were no longer cooling, even though the refrig. is runnning.

So now I'm wondering if it froze up, or something else went bad.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen...

Allen,

Remove a shelf in the freezer compartment, and check the back wall for a heavy build up of frost or ice on the wall. That's a quick easy check for a defrost issue.

No frost or ice, suspect a faulty evaporator fan motor behind the freezer back wall.

ranger3  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:52:41 AM(UTC)
ranger3

Allen,

Remove a shelf in the freezer compartment, and check the back wall for a heavy build up of frost or ice on the wall. That's a quick easy check for a defrost issue.

No frost or ice, suspect a faulty evaporator fan motor behind the freezer back wall.

Thank you for your advice.
Here's the latest. I turned off the refrig. and left the doors open all day yesterday. I dried out anything inside that was still wet. I fired the refrig. back up and it is now cooling again. So I put it back together and it seems to working.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Does this mean I have a bad evaporator fan motor, or it just needed to be defrosted and it probably won't happen again?

2. When I had the damper controll kit off, I noticed the damper door never fully opened when it was supposed to be open, and it never fully closed when it was supposed to be closed. Is this normal?

Thanks again for all your help. I hope this thread is helpful to others.

Allen...
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:26:18 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thank you for your advice.
Here's the latest. I turned off the refrig. and left the doors open all day yesterday. I dried out anything inside that was still wet. I fired the refrig. back up and it is now cooling again. So I put it back together and it seems to working.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Does this mean I have a bad evaporator fan motor, or it just needed to be defrosted and it probably won't happen again?

2. When I had the damper controll kit off, I noticed the damper door never fully opened when it was supposed to be open, and it never fully closed when it was supposed to be closed. Is this normal?

Thanks again for all your help. I hope this thread is helpful to others.

Allen...

Allen,
The easy stuff first, The damper assembly on your unit doesn't open or close completely. There has to be some air movement over to the fridge compartment at all times(except the 10 to 15 minute time span for the defrost heat cycle) to maintain the temperature. So, things are normal there.

The defrost vs. evaporator fan, a little different story.

Did you notice frost or ice on the back wall of the freezer compartment ?
If not, you can pretty much figure the fan is the issue. If it is, the fridge will stop cooling, soon. You need to allow a few days(5 to 7) to lapse before you do anything, You may have had a blockage on the evaporator coils, causing a loss of air flow, and you're defrost procedure allowwed any excess ice to defrost and drain.

The part number for the evaporator fan kit is

Part number: AP4700070

Should you need it.

You've asked some very pertinent questions, and they will come in handy for a lot of Repair Forum subscribers, in the future.

Thanks,
ranger3  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 7:30:11 AM(UTC)
ranger3

Allen,
The easy stuff first, The damper assembly on your unit doesn't open or close completely. There has to be some air movement over to the fridge compartment at all times(except the 10 to 15 minute time span for the defrost heat cycle) to maintain the temperature. So, things are normal there.

The defrost vs. evaporator fan, a little different story.

Did you notice frost or ice on the back wall of the freezer compartment ?
If not, you can pretty much figure the fan is the issue. If it is, the fridge will stop cooling, soon. You need to allow a few days(5 to 7) to lapse before you do anything, You may have had a blockage on the evaporator coils, causing a loss of air flow, and you're defrost procedure allowwed any excess ice to defrost and drain.

The part number for the evaporator fan kit is

Should you need it.

You've asked some very pertinent questions, and they will come in handy for a lot of Repair Forum subscribers, in the future.

Thanks,

Should cold air be blowing into the refrig. whenever the compressor is running?

I ask this, because now the refrig. is at 32 degrees and air is still blowing in because the compressor is running for the freezer. I know the damper door doesn't close all the way, but is their a fan that's running that shouldn't and it's causing the refrig. to get to cold?

Allen...
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 10:17:15 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Should cold air be blowing into the refrig. whenever the compressor is running?

I ask this, because now the refrig. is at 32 degrees and air is still blowing in because the compressor is running for the freezer. I know the damper door doesn't close all the way, but is their a fan that's running that shouldn't and it's causing the refrig. to get to cold?

Allen...

Allen,

I need the model number of your refrigerator, so I can research the diagram and air flow of your system.

In the mean time, check and make sure you didn't accidentally dislodge the refrigerator temp. control temperature bulb, in the control box. If it's not in the air flow properly, it will not react properly and could cause colder temperatures.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply