Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jaxom  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:09:19 PM(UTC)
Jaxom

Groups: Registered

Not sure of the age.
Here's the problem, the flap, between the dispenser tube and the ice "bucket", will not close all the way. You must push it closed by had and then it will stay closed and sealed.
How can I take it apart to determine exactly what is the problem and or clean and lubricate it???
Thanks so much for your time and efforts.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:30:05 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Have the doors on your refrigerator been replaced? If not they should have been and in my option GE should replace them. But they stopped some time ago. The problem is that excessive moisture will cause the solenoid inside the door that operates the flapper to rust. The solenoid will have to be replaced to fix your problem. Also check to see if the flapper is curled up on the ends this will cause the flap to stick (this has nothing to do with moisture). If the doors haven’t been replaced the solenoid may rust again so I would recommend calling GE and trying to make them replace the doors (although they probably wont). Note that I am not trying to bash GE I like their products but the problem they had with those doors makes them look bad. Refrigerator repair guide
applianceman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:14:02 AM(UTC)
applianceman

[FONT='Times New Roman']I forgot to tell you that if you are unsure about the door thing peel back the door gasket and if you see screws holding the gasket on you have the bad door. If you don’t see screws you have the good door, disregard what I said above. [/FONT]
Jaxom  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:24:30 AM(UTC)
Jaxom

Thanks for the info. I will look when I get home.
Jaxom  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:19:48 PM(UTC)
Jaxom

Well, I do have the screws in the seal...Bad Door!!!

Anyone know if G.E. is still doing the recall?

Thanks for the info.
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 6:22:00 PM(UTC)
applianceman

No they quit over a year ago but I believe they should although my opinion makes no difference to GE. Don’t get me wrong I like GE and my company sells GE. I am a GE serviceman but that doesn’t mean I agree with them. If I were you I would call and complain. I know it was only guaranteed for a year but this was a defect from the factory and should be fixed free of charge but I don’t think they will do it. Sorry to get hostile but this is a bad subject for me that door problem made my company look bad because of all the trouble they gave.
Jaxom  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 6:27:15 PM(UTC)
Jaxom

Applianceman
Thank you so very much for the info. Time to hassle Customer Service @ G.E.!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply