Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
69blueray  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 9:55:33 PM(UTC)
69blueray

Groups: Registered

Last night I noticed the ice cream was soft, and my ice was melting. I cleaned the condenser coils, which were very dusty, unplugged the unit, and plugged it back in. The fan is running, and I hear a relay click, followed by a second click about 10 seconds later. This happens every few minutes or so, but I have not heard the compressor run yet.

The compressor body feels hot to the touch, and the condenser coils feel room temperature. The fan is running nonstop, and the air feels cool/ room temp.

What should I check or replace?
Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:38:48 PM(UTC)
applianceman

If the clicking is coming from the compressor the start relay is most likely the problem (#13 on unit parts diagram). Note that if the compressor continues to click after replacing the start relay the compressor is bad. Refrigerator repair guide
69blueray  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:25:50 PM(UTC)
69blueray

That was it. I bought the start relay for $48, installed it, and the compressor started right up. The one I pulled off was blackened inside, and rattled when I shook it.

Thanks!
fiberking33@aol.com  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:29:59 PM(UTC)
fiberking33@aol.com

you have cleaned the dirty coils which may have caused the compressor to overheat. If the condenser fan is running and the back cardboard plate is properly installed on the back, and the fan inside the freezer is running and the compressor still won't start you may have a bad relay or a bad compressor.
Good luck.
doitmyselfer  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:16:28 PM(UTC)
doitmyselfer

69Bluejay did a great job describing the issue with his refrigerator. I had almost the exact same scenario. So I replaced the relay and overload and after 20 minutes the freezer is down to 28 degrees. Bingo. Thank you for the post and helping me solve the identical problem.

By the way, the guy at the parts store I ran to this afternoon told me this has been a problem on these specific Embraco EGY, EGU and EGZ compressors. He sent me home with a kit that ostensible looks to be used by repairs guys on a possible recall to replace the old overloads. Hopefully that helps someone else out there.
LostForOptions  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:22:11 PM(UTC)
LostForOptions

Applianceman, hoping you are still out there or someone else like you. I have a similar issue with Whirlpool Model# GC3SHEXNS03. The fridge overheated and I replaced the Inverter Box as it was burned out as well as the Electronic Control as suggested by the tech who came out(19 & 36). Both of these new pieces don't solve the problem and when I tested the compressor for continuity it seems to be fine.

I believe when the system overheated the compressor locked up. Are there any ways to jump start it free or is installing a new compressor the only option here. Thanks in advance.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply