Discuss

Whirlpool SxS GD5THGXKS02

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Whirlpool SXS model GD5THGXKS02. Freezer not cool. Both fans are running. I replaced the be-metal clip on sensor for the

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Whirlpool SxS GD5THGXKS02

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 PM

mezz127 is on a distinguished road
Default Whirlpool SxS GD5THGXKS02
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Whirlpool SXS model GD5THGXKS02. Freezer not cool. Both fans are running. I replaced the be-metal clip on sensor for the defrost. NO FiX. What do I do now. Fridge runs fine, sounds fine just does not cool right. The freezer compartment get down to about 50-55 Degrees. Fridge side seems cool. Is it the thermostat or the Control Board? Compressor is warm to touch, cleaned the coils. Has not been moved, it is 9 year old. First noticed that frozen things were no longer frozen.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a glorious beacon of light

Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GD5THGXKS02 SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

Check if the compressor is vibrating which is a better indicator that it is running.

Is the compressor running all the time or is it cycling?

If it is cycling normally then the probable cause is the thermostat.
The unit thinks it is at set point but in reality it is not so the thermostat is the most likely culprit.

If the compressor runs continuously.
Remove the cover in the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.

If they are heavily frosted/iced up to the point where the evaporator fan cannot pull air through them then you have a defrost problem.

If there is just frost in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then you have a sealed system problem. This will be an expensive repair as you need a pro. Also there is often no guarantee of a long term fix. It usually make more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GD5TH.pdf (574.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denman View Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GD5THGXKS02 SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

Check if the compressor is vibrating which is a better indicator that it is running.

Is the compressor running all the time or is it cycling?

If it is cycling normally then the probable cause is the thermostat.
The unit thinks it is at set point but in reality it is not so the thermostat is the most likely culprit.

If the compressor runs continuously.
Remove the cover in the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.

If they are heavily frosted/iced up to the point where the evaporator fan cannot pull air through them then you have a defrost problem.

If there is just frost in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then you have a sealed system problem. This will be an expensive repair as you need a pro. Also there is often no guarantee of a long term fix. It usually make more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.
I am not sure how to use this web site, but I am trying.
The frost is at the lower 3 inches of the Cooling Coils, and at the very top line that feeds the coil unit. No frost builds up at all on the rest of the coil in the back of the freezer. So sounds like it is not worth the repair route.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Since this is an expensive decision, take a look at the three example pages part way down the following page.
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

Also it is important that you check it after the unit has run for a couple hours.
If you do it shortly after a defrost cycle it could take you to the wrong conclusion.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denman View Post
Since this is an expensive decision, take a look at the three example pages part way down the following page.
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

Also it is important that you check it after the unit has run for a couple hours.
If you do it shortly after a defrost cycle it could take you to the wrong conclusion.
Thanks again for the help and ideas. I learned by looking at the pictures that my Whirlpool has the Adaptive Defrost Control unit ADC. So I followed the test suggested unpluging the fridge for 30 seconds and turning off the temp control. Upon pluging it back in an turning up the temp control I got no response. Fridge light is on but no fans or other noices. Did not hear the single or double click. Good news is that this is not our main refridge.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Upon pluging it back in an turning up the temp control I got no response. Fridge light is on but no fans or other noices. Did not hear the single or double click. Good news is that this is not our main refridge.
Sounds like it did go into a defrost cycle.
In defrost the fans and the compressor are turned off.
The heater should come on until the defrost thermostat opens. It opens just above freezing (all the ice/frost has melted off the evaporator coils).
The defrost cycle will then continue as it is just a timed cycle (usually around 30 minutes).

I am going to the cottage for a few days so will not be available.
When the forum is busy if other regular posters see that the post is being answered they do not have the time to check the post. So If you require help when I am gone you may want to start a new post with a blurb about what you have done so far and a link to your original post.