Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
john20091  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:03:57 AM(UTC)
john20091

Groups: Registered

Yesterday we noticed the freezer wasn't cold. Ice cream mushy...etc. So I opened up the back to clean the coils, and noticed the compressor was very hot. I can't keep my hand on it more than 10 seconds, but figured, that is OK b/c is has probably been running all day. I also did some reading, and unplugged the device and got into the coils of the freezer, and there was some frost on them. I pulled out the hairdryer and rid the unit of that.....but even so...after being off for 2 hours, the compressor was still very hot. I didn't want to run it overnight..so I unplugged. This AM, the compressor was back to room temp. I plugged the unit in, and right now, everything is fine (freezer making ice, fridg is 37 degrees.)...however that compressor is still very hot...and even though the inside of the unit is down to the temp level I set...it seems the compressor is running constantly...and as I stated, it is very hot.

So, I'm not sure what is going on. First question is how hot should the compressor be in a normally operating system, or a system that is coming up to normal operating tempuratures (remember, I did unplug it overnight). Not sure if it should be so hot normally (it has now been on 8 hours)...not sure if yesterday was just a result of the kids leaving the door ajar....what should I be observing over the next few hours or days? now to eliminate any items?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.