Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ripleys  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:49:21 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Groups: Senior Expert

Part # for control board is 2252195 subs to 8201672. Hope that helps and good luck.
mch28  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:55:14 PM(UTC)
mch28

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: ripleys Go to Quoted Post
Part # for control board is 2252195 subs to 8201672. Hope that helps and good luck.

Thanks for the p/n. $146

In the mean time, anyone familiar with the diagnostics. The water filter and power button for 3 sec's aren't doing it.
mch28  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:06:24 PM(UTC)
mch28

Can someone please post the service guide on this model? I want to turn on the defrost circuit to make some tests.

Thanks
JonnyMike  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 11:38:27 PM(UTC)
JonnyMike

Originally Posted by: mch28 Go to Quoted Post
My refrigerator won't go into defrost mode. I have replaced the bi-metal thermostat with no luck. The evaporator freezes up solid after about 2 months and won't allow the air to flow through it to cool the fridge side. The freezer is fine. I don't have any guide for entering diagnostics. The heater ohms out fine. How can I manually defrost this unit? and What should I try next? There doesn't seem to be a defrost timer. I don't want to throw a $150 main PWB in to find out it didn't fix it.

Thanks

Hey mch28,

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your KitchenAid? I've got the same model (2-1/2 years old) and same problem. I also have the diagnostics sheet you were looking for. I ran the diagnostics and everything checked out. This has me somewhat puzzled but I'm still hoping it's the bi-metal (cheap) and not the control assly. (expensive). I'm thinking that my bi-metal might be stuck closed. After reading the diagnostics sheet, it sounds like this could throw off the electronic defrost cycle. The problem first occurred about a month ago when I noticed the refrig. side getting too warm. The freezer was OK but there was frost on the back wall. We have alot of power outages where I live so I figured the electronics might just need to be reset. After turning it off and unplugging the power cord, I powered it back up and the defrost cycle worked fine (until now). Anyway, if you succeeded in getting yours fixed and can share that info, I'd greatly appreciate it.
richappy  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:04:59 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Before replacing the control board, go to www.applianceaid.com There will be two different manual defrost procedures there, try both. Post results.
JonnyMike  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:31:07 AM(UTC)
JonnyMike

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Before replacing the control board, go to www.applianceaid.com There will be two different manual defrost procedures there, try both. Post results.

The only manual defrost procedures I found on applianceaid.com were for units with a mechanical defrost timer. My unit is electronic. The diagnostics instruction sheet does have a procedure for checking the defrost heater/bi-metal, which checked out ok. Since there's nothing in the literature about a traditional defrost timer, I'm assuming it's built into the electronic control board. Please let me know if I missed something. Thanks richappy.
richappy  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:38:31 AM(UTC)
richappy

In applianceaid. com, click on refrigerator repair, "then New adaptive defrost info"
JonnyMike  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:46:57 PM(UTC)
JonnyMike

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
In applianceaid. com, click on refrigerator repair, "then New adaptive defrost info"

Thanks richappy, I found it. In the meantime, I went and bought a defrost bi-metal. Before installing it, however, I took everything out of the freezer side, removed back panel, defrosted evaporator with a hair dryer, reassembled, then powered the unit up. As expected, everything worked. Refrig. side returned to normal temp. (appx. 35 F.). I decided to just observe it for a few days and appx. 30 hours later, discovered that the unit was going through a normal defrost cycle. This suggested that the bi-metal and/or control board might not be defective after all. My questions now are as follows:

1.) Is it possible for the bi-metal to have stuck open, then snapped back closed after the hair dryer session?

2.) How often does the defrost cycle operate?
richappy  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:07:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

Most probable failed item is the defrost thermostat, just replace it. They often fail intermitently.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply