Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ender6  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:49:20 AM(UTC)
ender6

Groups: Registered

oldie but goodie. It's a stainless steel Frigidaire c.1966 (the space age refrigerator). So the top refrigerator still works like a charm. Lately, the freezer doesn't stay frozen. My ice cream is more like soft serve.

I disassembled much of the freezer and can see the drain is bone dry. The fan doesn't seem to be working. What's going on?

Also, 40W bulbs - One of the two bulbs in the upper frig section went out. However, it doesn't seem to like any new appliance bulbs (bought at the store), but if screw in the bulb from the other side, the light socket seems to be fine. Ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:30:04 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is a parts breakdown for a FPCI19TFA0, should be close to yours.
If you call or email them they will probably be able to confirm that the parts are the same
Replacement parts for FRIGIDAIRE FPCI19TFA0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

I disassembled much of the freezer and can see the drain is bone dry. The fan doesn't seem to be working. What's going on?
The fan may be burned out, Item 46 in the "Shelves and supports" section. Since it is not circulating air through the evaporator coils the freezer would get warmer than it should.
Check that the evap. coils get a fairly even coating of frost when the compressor is on. If they do then you probably have enough freon.
Check that the evaporator coils are not frosted/iced over heavily. If they are you may have a defrost problem

Also, 40W bulbs - One of the two bulbs in the upper frig section went out. However, it doesn't seem to like any new appliance bulbs (bought at the store), but if screw in the bulb from the other side, the light socket seems to be fine. Ideas?
Looks like the bulb is a special, see Item 29 in the "Shelves and supports" section
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
toddm  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 12:21:52 PM(UTC)
toddm

Dear member.
Hi,
I had that fridge that have. If you find you can't get it to work or may just want to sell it please write me.. I would be interested in it.
thank you. todd
ender6  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:57:09 AM(UTC)
ender6

Okay, I've been watching the freezer for a while. I see that it frosts and defrosts on a regular basis - a very small amount of water is dripping. The fan actually does work contrary to what I reported earlier. Interestingly the meat drawer in the frig section is cold enough to freeze a cup of water, but the freezer is not. The freezer seems to be a couple of degrees warmer. Oh, the model number turns out to be FPCI19BK.

Is there a separate thermostat for the freezer? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
denman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:12:00 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Is there a separate thermostat for the freezer?
Not that I know of, in reality you are regulating the freezer temp with the main thermostat and the regulating the amount of cold air that goes into the fridge with the control in the freezer compartment. Set both at mid scale and see what happens.

By the sound of it:
1. The compressor is running correctly and cycling
2. You are getting an even coating of frost over the evaporator coils so low freon is unlikely
3. The freezer fan is OK
4. The defrost is doing it's job
5. The compressor fan is running
6. The condenser coils are relatively clean

The only thing I can think of that is left is the thermostat.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ender6  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:54:33 AM(UTC)
ender6

Ahh... okay. the thermostat settings go from C to 3. Which way is colder?

Thanks for all your help.

Update: Nevermind, I figured it out. 3 is the colder side. I turned it all the way to off and then back on 1. However, the compressor didn't come on for almost a full day. What's that about? Now, it seems to be working better again - like it reset itself...

Question to Denman: should I attempt to replace thermostat and switch as well as door seals?
PhilR  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:12:04 PM(UTC)
PhilR

Do you still have this refrigerator?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply