Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cntrydrmz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:26:43 PM(UTC)
cntrydrmz

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone!

A few days ago I noticed my milk was not cold enough. I also checked the freezer and found our ice cream was like very soft serve. A few things were still frozen. So, we started checking things. The condenser fan was not running. So, we spun it and got it to start. That seemed to help, but it shut off sometime during the night. So, we started it again the next morning. I went to get a replacement fan motor and we installed it last night. The new motor rotated freely, while the old motor was very hard to turn. Seemingly it was about to quit. This morning the milk was colder and the fan was still running. However, the ice cream was still very soft and other things had not refrozen either. I turned the defrost timer and it went through it's cycle and then the compressor and fans turned back on. I put a 1/2 cup of water in and it froze pretty good after about 3 hours or so. However, other things were still not frozen. So, I pulled the cover off of the coils in the back of the freezer and there was only frost on the bottom 2. The rest of the coils were completely dry and clean.

I know the unit is at least 5 years old because it was here when we bought the place 5 years ago, but that's about all I know. If anyone needs more information, just let me know and I'll provide what I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 1:14:04 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sounds like you may have a sealed system problem.

Does the compressor run all the time?
You can usually hear it. It should be warm and you should be able to feel it vibrating.
Also is the evaporator/freezer fan running?

If yes then it is a sealed system problem.
This will be an expensive repair as you need a pro. Also there is no guarantee that it will be a long term fix.
Often it makes more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.

Below is a link, take a look at the 3 example pictures part way down page 20.
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html

I looked up the warranty on Crosley's and it was a bit confusing. You may want to give them a call as often the sealed system on a unit has an extended warranty at least for the parts.
Also I do not know if it only applies to the original purchaser.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
cntrydrmz  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 5:03:04 AM(UTC)
cntrydrmz

Thanks for your response Denman!

Yes, it seems the compressor and evaporator fan are running all of the time. The compressor is pretty warm. The condenser seemed to have a good amount of dust/dirt and pet hair. Could this be the root of the problem? I vacuumed as much as I could (which wasn't much) without removing it.

The coil looks the basically the same this morning except the frost seems a little thicker.The fresh food side is fairly cold and the stuff on the top shelf of the freezer is almost frozen (we took everything else out of the freezer).

The link for the pictures you listed didn't work for some reason.

I'm sure the warranty has long expired and wouldn't apply to us. The only other thing we have done is replace the heater about 2 years ago.

So, I'm assuming you don't think we should even call someone to look at it? If that's the case, do you have any suggestions of what we should look for or avoid when looking at used refrigerators?

Thanks again! :)
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 5:43:41 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yes, it seems the compressor and evaporator fan are running all of the time.[/COLOR]
I am assuming you mean the compressor fan and the evaporator fan.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Could this be the root of the problem?[/COLOR]
Definitely won't help. If the coils are dirty the compressor cannot efficiently remove heat from the unit. Even dirty condenser fan blades or a clogged front kick plate can effect cooling.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
The coil looks the basically the same this morning except the frost seems a little thicker.[/COLOR]
It does sound like a low freon problem or a partial plug in the sealed system.
Then when the liquid freon enters the coils it is used up quickly and there is not enough of it to cool the rest of the coil so does not get the unit cold enough.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The link for the pictures you listed didn't work for some reason.[/COLOR]
I checked it and it worked for me so I do not know what the problem is.
try Googling "applianceaid.com" to find it.
Then go into the "Appliance Repair Ad" section.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]
So, I'm assuming you don't think we should even call someone to look at it?[/COLOR]
That is up to you, I cannot say for sure as I am not there so am trying to give you as much info as possible so you can make an educated decision.
From your description I would not but but a new unit is expensive so you want to be sure that the problem is a sealed system problem.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
If that's the case, do you have any suggestions of what we should look for or avoid when looking at used refrigerators?[/COLOR]
I do not give advice on what to buy as it would probably break down a week after you installed it. That is just how my luck goes.

I would stay away from older GE's that use a control board. Just take a look at this forum and it becomes self explanatory.

Make sure you see the thing run.

Do not buy fancy in most cases it is just more things that can go wrong.

I am still a big fan of non-electronic controlled units.
cntrydrmz  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 6:27:11 AM(UTC)
cntrydrmz

I am assuming you mean the compressor fan and the evaporator fan.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yes, the compressor fan and the evaporator fan. The compressor seems to maintain it's very warm outer temperature and running a lot too. It seems that everything is running constantly. The main reason I advanced the defrost timer was to see if the "clicking" noise from that area would stop. It's just the faint ticking noise that I thought the timer made, but I don't remember it ticking all of the time? However, it is still ticking all of the time.[/COLOR]

Definitely won't help. If the coils are dirty the compressor cannot efficiently remove heat from the unit. Even dirty condenser fan blades or a clogged front kick plate can effect cooling.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]So, should I remove the condenser to clean it? It looks like a pain to remove? The fan blades were pretty clean. We vacuum the front kick plate and underneath the unit often due to our furry kids ;)[/COLOR]

It does sound like a low freon problem or a partial plug in the sealed system.
Then when the liquid freon enters the coils it is used up quickly and there is not enough of it to cool the rest of the coil so does not get the unit cold enough.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]I don't mind having freon added, but it sounds like it could be on ongoing issue. The whole sealed system is a new thing to me and I don't know much about it. I will search for more information about it. [/COLOR]

I checked it and it worked for me so I do not know what the problem is.
try Googling "applianceaid.com" to find it.
Then go into the "Appliance Repair Ad" section.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]The link worked, but I didn't see the example pictures you mentioned.[/COLOR]

That is up to you, I cannot say for sure as I am not there so am trying to give you as much info as possible so you can make an educated decision.
From your description I would not but but a new unit is expensive so you want to be sure that the problem is a sealed system problem.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]I realize you aren't here, but your knowledge far surpasses mine on this. I just don't want to throw $$ down the drain. I guess it might be worth a call to the local repair person to ask a few questions. Just frustrating as we recently moved here from Arizona. We don't really know anyone and those we have spoken to locally are just not the most "customer service" oriented people![/COLOR]

I do not give advice on what to buy as it would probably break down a week after you installed it. That is just how my luck goes.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]I completely understand about the luck ;) Was just hoping for some general info. Too bad things aren't made like they used to be! Sometimes it seems it's better to buy used than new.
[/COLOR]
I would stay away from older GE's that use a control board. Just take a look at this forum and it becomes self explanatory. Make sure you see the thing run. Do not buy fancy in most cases it is just more things that can go wrong.
I am still a big fan of non-electronic controlled units.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Thanks for the tip on GE's. We don't want fancy, just basic with lots of space. We like the side by sides, but it's difficult to find them without the water and ice[/COLOR].

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Thanks again for your information. If you think of anything else, just let me know. I'll be sure to post any updates :)[/COLOR]

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros...p;p=535463#ixzz1Y7kHlYFZ
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 8:50:36 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"] It's just the faint ticking noise that I thought the timer made, but I don't remember it ticking all of the time? However, it is still ticking all of the time.[/COLOR]
Yes does sound like the defrost timer but the ticking should not cause the problems you are having.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]So, should I remove the condenser to clean it? It looks like a pain to remove? [/COLOR]
I would not remove it you will probably cause damage if you try to. Dirty coils does not explain why there is only frost at the bottom of the coil.
I blow mine out with a compressor but my kitchen is set up so I can just roll it straight to an open door. Then with the kick plate and the rear cover off I can blow it out and most of the dust goes outside. A leaf blower also does a good job.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I don't mind having freon added, but it sounds like it could be on ongoing issue.[/COLOR]
Adding freon really does not solve the problem as they have to find the leak and repair it or it will just be a temporary fix. Also the leak may be in the compressor itself.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The link worked, but I didn't see the example pictures you mentioned.[/COLOR]
They are links on Page 20 just above
"[COLOR="Red"]Some common troublemakers by the manufacture make....[/COLOR]"
Here are direct links to them hopefully they will work for you.
http://www.applianceaid.com/pic...es/innificientsystem.jpg
http://www.applianceaid.com/pictools/364a.jpg
http://www.american-appliance.c...e_data/admref8_small.jpg
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply