Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thomt  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 2:11:59 PM(UTC)
thomt

Groups: Registered

My Amana side by side dispensed crushed and cubed just fine for about two years. It's the type with the crusher integral to the bin. Now, the auger motor runs but the auger jams on cubes being dispensed or when trying to crush ice. I have tested the dispenser with and without ice. I have even tried emptying the bin and crushing a single cube, which it cannot do. With a nice layer of ice in the bin, the auger turns then you can here the motor change pitch like the clutch reached its limit and started to slip.
The auger is not frozen by a block of ice in the bottom of the dispenser, the auger is not broken, the crushed/cubed switch, solenoid and gate all work like they are supposed to, with the bin empty, everything works fine, the motor runs, the auger turns etc.
I checked the drive motor my pressing the door switch and ice dispenser switch at the same time. I turns with a good bit of torque, I was able to stop it against the clutch with my hand.
With the dispenser out, I tried turning the auger by hand, it jambs on the first or second piece of ice out the chute or into the crusher and becomes very hard to turn.
I thought the ice may be too hard, but the freezer is at 0 degrees which is normal.
Help
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:11:54 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Possible there is something wrong with the ice crasher blades in the ice bin. What is the complete model number of the refrigerator?

Gene.
thomt  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 5:56:55 PM(UTC)
thomt

The auger turns freely with no ice in the bin. The blades look OK

Model number ASD2522VRN00
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:33:21 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sorry, I'm stumped. Maybe somebody else on the forum can help you better.

Gene.
thomt  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2009 6:20:32 PM(UTC)
thomt

Turns out there is no slip clutch on the auger drive motor. The expensive ($100+) motor shaft sacrificed itself to the cheap ($4) drive dog by -stripping the threads- on the shaft!:mad:

So, Ive ordered another drive dog and will devise some method to make sure it won't slip on the shaft. I'm not a fan of glue for this sort of thing, especially since the temperature is freezing (sorry).

I'm glad I finally tore into it. My speculation is the motor will stall out if the auger can't turn. I've seen that type of thing before. Unfortunately, the end of the drive train was not up to the task.

Thanks to everyone who helped.
Thom
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply