Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richdog33  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:48:23 AM(UTC)
richdog33

Groups: Registered

Hello All,

I just picked up a used standup Admiral F1676 freezer. The owner told me that it worked. He said he had it for two years, and the previous "original" owners had it for 8. I got it home and plugged it in. The compressor runs, which is probably a good thing, but after letting it run overnight, it's still not cold inside. I've scoured the internet, but most repair sites don't even acknowledge this model. I'm assuming it's older than 10 years. I don't know when they converted to a newer refrigerant, but this one has R12 in it. There is no evaporator fan in it, as the coils are on the top and every other shelf. I noticed the line in frosts up after the compressor has run for a while. Maybe it's just low on freon? Any other thoughts? Compressor?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rich

Edit: I contacted the guy I bought it from. He said that by transporting it on its side (which I did), I need to let the freezer sit for at least 48 hours before plugging it in or I could damage the coils. I plugged it in almost immediately after getting it home. Hopefully I didn't do any damage. Any thoughts on that?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 11:20:17 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Unplug it and let it sit for 24 hours and try again.

Usually the do not plug in if transported on it's side is because the compressor has oil in it. You have to let the oil drain back into the compressor or you can drive it up through the system and contaminate the system.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
richdog33  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:20:31 PM(UTC)
richdog33

Thanks for the reply. I've had it unplugged overnight. I'll try plugging it in tomorrow morning, but I don't have much faith in that fixing it. I understand not having enough oil in the compressor could shorten its lifespan, but I wouldn't think that would prevent it from cooling (unless I cooked the compressor). I'm familiar with auto ac systems, but can't tell much about ac operation without gauges hooked up.
Any idea what year this thing may be?
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 2:20:22 AM(UTC)
denman

I've had it unplugged overnight. I'll try plugging it in tomorrow morning, but I don't have much faith in that fixing it. I understand not having enough oil in the compressor could shorten its lifespan, but I wouldn't think that would prevent it from cooling (unless I cooked the compressor).
No it is not that you do not have enough oil in the compressor. It is that the oil can contaminate, partially block an orifice so you get less freon circulating in the system.

Any idea what year this thing may be?
No, but I will see if I can find a serial number decoder.
Or perhaps someone else has it.
richdog33  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 7:12:03 AM(UTC)
richdog33

Thanks again for the reply denman. I plugged it in this morning. I'll keep you updated.
richdog33  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:26:18 PM(UTC)
richdog33

Just a quick update...
I tried letting the freezer sit for a couple of days, plugged it back in and let it run for approx. 24 hours. Same results. I have a friend who is certified to work on fridges / freezers who will take a look at it, but you know how long friends can take to get around to you! He said it sounds like it's low on freon (without looking at it, of course). Hopefully I have a "all fixed" post in the near future!
denman  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 2:03:40 AM(UTC)
denman

I agree with your friend, it does sound like low freon.

Now the trick is not just filling it but finding the leak.
Unless you can find that, you are just wasting your time and money.

Since it is still cooling some you still have some freon which means a slow leak which makes it harder to find.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply