Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Billyjo  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:08:39 AM(UTC)
Billyjo

Groups: Registered

Hi, my side by side freezer started frosting up a month ago. I tried replacing the door seal and it didn't correct the issue. The freezer is staying cold but the frost keeps building up. Any suggestions? Thank you so much.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:22:01 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ED5FHEXNS00 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

Where is the frost building up?

If it is on the back wall and evaporator coils you probably have a defrost problem. Usually you would noticed a higher than normal temperature in the fresh food side first and later it would effect the freezer temperature. You would then have to do a manual defrost to get it to work properly.
Could be that the defrost has gone intermittent.

If it is on the freezer walls then it could be a bad door seal or a thermostat problem.

Note: Which door seal did you replace?
Both doors will cause frost build up in the freezer if they leak.
Take a 2 inch wide strip on paper, place it between the seal and the frame and then pull it out to see if the seal is doing it's job. Work your way around the door.

Sometimes the seal can catch and twist on the hinge side of the door and it will not seal correctly. A light coating of white lithium grease or vaseline usually solves this problem.
File Attachment(s):
ED5FH.pdf (575kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Billyjo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:33:54 AM(UTC)
Billyjo

Groups: Registered

The frost is basically all over. I cleaned it out on Monday and now it is back on the door, on the roof, on the ice maker, the food, etc. I also noticed that at the back panel where the coils are there is ice build-up at the bottom of the grille.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I replaced both door gaskets. I tried heating the seal to see if I could get a better seal and that didn't do anything. I will try a thin layer of Vaseline.

To try start the defrost cycle it says to power off the fridge, can I just use the knob to shut it off or do I need to power it off by unplugging it?
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:56:08 AM(UTC)
denman

I think you can just use the thermostat.

It does not sound like a defrost problem to me as the frost is all over.

You are getting too much moist air into the unit and it is condensing on the freezer walls.

Also may be a thermostat problem. The temperature swings too much re: it gets too warm in the freezer before the compressor kicks back on. Ice cubes etc. start to melt and then that moisture condenses on the wall.

One way to check it is make a bunch of ice cubes. Put them in a tray etc. in the freezer. Let them stay there a couple days if they end up all frozen together then you know the temperature in the freezer has risen above where it should.
denman  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 5:31:51 AM(UTC)
denman

Just thought of one other possibility.

If the defrost thermostat does not open when all the ice is melted off the evaporator coils that will also raise the freezer temperature above where it should be.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply