Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scott123  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 11:44:07 PM(UTC)
scott123

Groups: Registered

Tonight my fridge died. No lights, no motor, no cooling, dead- as if the power was shut off. I checked the breaker (fine), I pulled the refrigerator out and checked the plug (fine). I maneuvered it a bit to get behind it to unplug and the power kicked on. The receptacle has a little give so I moved it around a bit to try to recreate the issue- I couldn't.

Now, a week ago Hurricane Irene flooded our substation and left us without power for 4 days. We religiously left the door shut in hopes that some of the frozen stuff might thaw but remain cold enough to use, but it was about a day too much and everything was in the high 50s. We ended up with a lot of liquid on the floor of the freezer- about 1/2". I cleaned it all up, removed the plastic floor and cleaned up everything that had gotten under that, threw everything away and turned the fridge back on. At the time, there was some water in the drip pan, but not a huge amount. I emptied it. As far as I could tell, no liquids made it down into the air inlet in the freezer, but I can't say for certain.

The refrigerator has been working fine for a week, but, two days ago, I had about a half cup of water on the bottom shelf that I couldn't trace to anything. I cleaned it up and decided to see if it happened again. And then tonight, the fridge died. The pan had some water again (not full), so I emptied it.

If liquids get in the wrong place in a fridge will they cause it to shut down and then, once they dry, turn back on again? Could additional moisture in a fridge cause it to overheat temporarily? What else might cause a fridge to be temporarily unresponsive?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.