Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fuggo  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 11:15:45 AM(UTC)
fuggo

Groups: Registered

Ok, I hope this isn't too long winded. My freezer seemed to be getting excessively cold (-10 to -15 F) regardless of the slider setting in the fridge compartment. It seems to have levelled off now around 0 deg F, but during that fit the icemaker broke. I took it out and the gear that turns the ejector was broken, as well as the little tabs that hold it do the inner piece.

I thought I may have fixed it with epoxy, but that didn't last. The first cycle started and I thought all was well, but then I noticed that the ejecter was now at about 4pm and frozen in the cubes.

Here's my questions, in no particular order.

If the heater is shot, would the ejector continue to try to force the cubes out, thus breaking the whimpy plastic gear?

Does the thermostat do anything else besides signaling that it's cold enough to harvest?

This site has pretty decent prices, but the replacement unit for my model is $50 more than a nearly identical looking one. The two parts are AP3182733 (my model) and AP4135008 (the cheaper one).

as far as I can tell the cheaper one is missing the wiring harness which I already have, as well as the extended flange, which I also have. Is there any reason I couldnt get AP4135008 and swap in the parts I already have? I'd hate to spent the extra $ if I didnt have to.

My cheapest solution would be to replace the motor module, but if the heater/thermostat is the underlying issue, then the kit replacement is much cheaper than the sum of the parts.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.