Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gwaii  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:56:03 AM(UTC)
Gwaii

Groups: Registered

I have an Amana bottom freezer, model BX20S5E that is not cooling properly in either compartment. I have replaced both the defrost thermostat and defrost timer (new). Still no change... what I do notice is that around the defrost timer there is a ball of ice. The ice doesn't extend over the fins at all, just around the thermostat. I have unthawed with a blow dryer and turned on again but the ice returns. All the fans are working properly and the compressor seems to be running. During the defrost cycle the heaters seem to be producing heat, can feel it by hand. I would appreciate any ideas about what I can check now.... or is this fridge kaput?? It is 13 years old but has run perfect that whole time. One other thing, I haven't been dilegent in vaccuming around the coils and there was quite a buildup of dust there. I have since removed all that. Any info would very helpful, haven't had a working fridge for a month now!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:57:35 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Check if the fan in the freezer works.

The evaporator coil (in the freezer) should be 100% covered with thin snow. If it's not then there is a problem with the sealed system. It could be low on Freon or the compressor has low capacity. Such job has to be performed by a certified technician.

Here are the break down diagrams and Replacement parts for AMANA BX20S5E | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Gwaii  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:28:07 PM(UTC)
Gwaii

Groups: Registered

All the fans seem to be working fine including the one in the freezer. No funny noises etc and all going full speed. Do you think it would be worthwhile to get a tech to look at it to correct the problems you suggest, or just buy a new fridge?? It seems it can be very expensive to fix those problems no? Not sure where to go.... the local tech charges me $80 just to show up never mind doing anything. I am grateful for your reply to my questions....... thank you!
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 11:52:20 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
This is an over 10 years old, relatively small (about 20 cf) refrigerator. Probably it's time for a new fridge.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply