Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stuhenderson  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2011 2:50:08 AM(UTC)
stuhenderson

Groups: Registered

Freezer door handle has come loose. I see two allen screws on the bottom of the handle and try to turn them, but they won't turn. I'm afraid of bending or breaking the little allen wrench. Am I missing something or are these just stuck? thanks in advance. Stu
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mommakat  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 4:17:00 PM(UTC)
mommakat

Originally Posted by: stuhenderson Go to Quoted Post
Freezer door handle has come loose. I see two allen screws on the bottom of the handle and try to turn them, but they won't turn. I'm afraid of bending or breaking the little allen wrench. Am I missing something or are these just stuck? thanks in advance. Stu

ok, THE ANSWER WAS TO GET WD-40 WITH THE SKINNY STRAW ATTACHED-SPRAY UP INTO THE HOLE, catching extra w/paper towel underneath and behind handle. Sorry about caps- let it sit a while. GET someone to help hold the handle or I can promise you will scratch the stainless steel.

:) Using a 3/32˝ Allen wrench, (try to get one that is bent at a right angle-it will be easier) and LOOSEN the screw first and actually remove the handle-you may need to really crank to get screw out (can always test the correct size on one of the much more visible set screw on the refrigerator door handle). Under the handle, there will be two screws (Phillips style). Use the Phillips screwdriver to tighten the screws (they have a kind of washer like thing around them). Get someone to hold handle in place while you use the Allen wrench to tighten the screws (carefully-so you do not scratch-you may either have to turn, remove, turn remove the Allen wrench thing, so the loop at its base-if yours has a loop-does not scratch). Voila-should be good to go!

BTW-I HATE KITCHEN AID for making this so difficult to access. It took us about a dozen attempts over three years to get this fixed. I was determined NOT to pay a repairman to turn a screw, but it was hell.:mad:
mh60yogi  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 24, 2017 4:46:45 PM(UTC)
mh60yogi

Thanks for the great advise. This worked perfectly.
dj711  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 12:12:09 PM(UTC)
dj711

Thank you so much for your advice. I had been trying to tighten the set screws but they wouldn't budge. Not only that, but removing the handle entirely is also necessary, as the screws underneath it need to be tightened as well. I agree that Kitchenaid didn't need to make this so difficult.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 3:49:59 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Seriously you've saved me from a massive ongoing headache, thank you. Ridiculous this isn't better documented, such an easy fix once you know what to do.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply