Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Poodlehead  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2011 6:51:45 AM(UTC)
Poodlehead

Groups: Registered

I'm really not sure about the age of the refrig, but I have a defrost issue. The timer has already been replaced and I have diagnosed it to determine that it goes into defrost mode, but only for 10-20 seconds. I determined this by measuring the current on the electrical cord, it spikes to 6-7 amps, indicating the heater is on, but the 6-7 amps only last about 10-20 seconds...

I have talked to an appliance repair person that wants to replace both the heater and defrost thermostat. I'm thinking only the t-stat needs to be replaced, but he said it is a glass heating element (which I question if it really is glass) that often fails and should be replaced too.

So that's why the question, can the heating element be intermittent or is he blowing smoke? Thanks! Pat
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:29:34 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Remove the freezer panel and short out the wires to the defrost thermostat. If it now defrosts for the entire defrost period, you have a bad defrost thermostat.
Poodlehead  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2011 7:43:44 PM(UTC)
Poodlehead

Good idea and now since I replaced it with a used one, I have time to play with it next weekend. Will let you know what happens... Thanks!
Poodlehead  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:13:30 PM(UTC)
Poodlehead

I figured out the problem and I had incorrectly diagnosed that it was pulling the 6-7 amps of current for 10-20 seconds in defrost mode. The high current was actually when it came OUT of defrost mode. I guess I was taking it out of defrost mode before the pressures stabilized causing the high current and then there was some other 'click' that was turning it off...

Anyway, the real problem was the glass defrost heater tube is open. From what I'm finding so far, the part is no longer available (p/n 63001387). I'm going to do so more checking, but can can anyone recommend a suitable replacement? Thanks!
richappy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:17:50 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can use a AP4503175 element, a little shorter, but will work in your fridg.
Poodlehead  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:29:39 AM(UTC)
Poodlehead

It looks like the wires on that part are a little short too and the wrong connector on one end, but I can splice it to make it work... Thanks for your help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply