Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CrownSeven  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:08:49 PM(UTC)
CrownSeven

Groups: Registered

Purchased new on March of 2007. The refrigerator was finally just installed last week due to us putting our plans for a kitchen remodel on hold. After 2 days of operation we've noticed that the refrigerator side of this model is way too cold, to the point where its freezing liquids, including the water line.

We have set the thermostat to 46, and placed a thermometer on the inside of the fridge, and have confirmed that the fridge's thermostat is not accurate at all. Thermometer shows a temp of 30 degrees while the fridge's thermostat is showing 46.

Any ideas? This is basically a brand new unit. Could it be due to the fridge sitting unused for 2 years?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 4:24:14 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for MAYTAG RS269LARS | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a service manual
http://www.servicematters.com/m...library/docs/SAM0074.pdf

Could it be due to the fridge sitting unused for 2 years?

I would doubt it.

Run the diagnostics
Sounds like it could be the temp sensor or the control board.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
CrownSeven  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 6:45:02 AM(UTC)
CrownSeven

Thanks Denman.

I executed a self diagnostic, and everything came back ok. I did notice from reading the service manual you sent that there is a Temperature Shift function that would let me set an offset for the temperature. We'll see if that solves my problem, although I have a feeling it won't.

I'm contemplating whether I should just go ahead and replace the control board, or have a service repair man come out and take a look.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 7:37:17 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
If you end up going with a service tech make sure you get one who has experience with these units.
This is a complicated piece of equipment and quite frankly beyond many tech's abilities.
You want them to find the problem and not just randomly start swapping parts.

Since the diags ran OK you may have a defrost problem in the fresh food side or the fan may not be circulating air through the coils.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
CrownSeven  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 11:46:28 AM(UTC)
CrownSeven

So I called a service tech, and well they had no clue, told me they would check for any 'flashes' and then get back to me, which they never did.

So I took a chance and ordered a new control board, as I didn't think the odds of all the temp sensors (3 I believe) going bad on a brand new fridge was very likely.

So I get the board (which was a year older than the one I currently had), began the process of removing the old one, when I saw that a connector was left hanging and not plugged into the board. You can see the connector below circled in red:

UserPostedImageThis could solve the problem since anything we put in the 'CoolSelect' drawer would freeze no matter what temp we would set it at. We'll know in a couple of hours if that takes care of the issue. Fingers are crossed.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply