Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
franklu  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2007 9:19:02 AM(UTC)
franklu

Groups: Registered

The food in the freezer gets so warm that the ice cream melts. When I notice this condition I play with the temperature control turn it back and forth numerous times and then it finally come back on. Was away for a week and therefore was not able to play with temperature control, cam home to find everything warm and melted in the freezer and refrigerator. I have pulled the temperature control unit with the thermostat and when I check for continuity on the unit I find it as open (infinity) in the off condition and basically continuous (very low resistance) once the dial is moved from off position. The resistance does not appear to change other than to open and closed as the dial is adjusted
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:58:37 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Did the compressor make a clicking noise a few times before it did start?

If it did, then most likely the problem is a bad start device on the compressor or the compressor itself.

Remove the start device from the compressor and shake it. If you heard a real rattling sound then the start device has to be replaced.
There are two different kind of the start devices which could be used in your fridge - black or white. If the problem is a bad start device, post the color of the old one and I will find the right part number for you.

If the problem is the compressor itself and the fridge is less then 5 years old, it could be under the manufacturer warranty and should be fixed by the Whirlpool without any charge to you.

If the compressor did not make any unusual noises at the start up and did start right away then, most likely, the problem is a bad electronic defrost control (#4 on the liner parts break down diagram).

- The part number for the electronic defrost control AP3853127

- Here are the break down diagrams for the Whirlpool refrigerator Model ET8MTKXKQ00

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply