Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shippey  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 4:55:02 AM(UTC)
shippey

Groups: Registered

I had a problem with the condenser motor on my fridge not coming on every time causing the unit to get hot and thaw everything inside. I could usually take the dowel and spin the fan blade to get it to start. I ordered a replacement motor that arrived the other day. I removed and installed the motor as instructed on the paperwork provided. When I went to plug in the unit it now trips the GFCI the fridge is plugged into. I removed the motor to check and see if it was bad. When I place the motor on a 115v AC line it turns the fan motor fine and nothing trips. What is going on here?
Quick response needed as food is defrosting as I type.:eek:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

shippey  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:08:37 AM(UTC)
shippey

I just checked one other thing. If I turn the defrost control timer dial to the defrost setting and plug the unit in it does NOT trip the GFCI, When I turn the defrost timer dial to start the unit again it trips the GFCI. Almost sounds like a relay is bad or shorting out. Thoughts?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:40:43 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
In general, pros. do not recommend putting a frdg on a gfci outlet, too many places for a frdg to have ground currents.
If you have a meter, I would check the new motor for a short to ground and also the compressor.
shippey  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:50:31 AM(UTC)
shippey

The fridge is in the Garage and every outlet is GFCI protected. It has been in there for 5 years and has never tripped the GFCI until today. I Ohms tested the motor and it reads .071mhs, the old motor reads .068 ohms. I took the new motor and put it directly to a power strip in the garage connected tot he GFCI and the fan motor turned with no issues. I also reinstalled the fan motor into the fridge, placed the defrost timer to defrost and the unit turns on and doesn't trip the GFCI, as soon as i turn the defrost timer to the off position normally allowing the compressor to reun, the GFCI trips.
denman  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:09:21 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]I also reinstalled the fan motor into the fridge, placed the defrost timer to defrost and the unit turns on and doesn't trip the GFCI, as soon as i turn the defrost timer to the off position normally allowing the compressor to reun, the GFCI trips.[/COLOR]

If you do the same test with the fan motor disconnected does it still trip the GFI?
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
shippey  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:13:32 AM(UTC)
shippey

I ran an extension cord across the house to Non- GFCI circuit and the unit works as designed. I guess with it defrosting some condensation must have been in the Compressor circuit. Fixed. THanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply