Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
drewx24  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:35:37 PM(UTC)
drewx24

Groups: Registered

Hi All
I need help diagnosing what is wrong with my refrigerator. I personally don't know a single thing about refrigerators aside from the fact that it keeps things cold.
What i can tell you is that the fridge is running fine, like electricity, sounds, and everything else is normal. the only problem is that both freezer and fridge are not cold, as if the cooler or some sort is not functioning. I talked to a representative and he suggested that i need to replace the thermostat or damper of some sort. is there someone that can help me diagnose and figure out what i need to do/buy in order to get my refrigerator up and running?

i'll have the serial/model number asap.

thanks for your help
-Andrew
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 1:53:57 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is a link to a good site with basic fridge repair info.
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig.html

First you have to determine if the compressor is running. You can usually hear it start up, also you should be able to feel it vibrating and it should be warm.

Also cherck that the fan in the freezer is running.

You can have 3 compressor conditions:
Always on: Could be a sealed system problem. If there is at least some cooling it may be low on freon. Both will be expensive repairs.
Also may be a defrost problem.

Never on: Could be a control thermostat problem or a compressor problem.

Cycling: Could be a compressor start device or the compressor itself, often you can hear a clicking noise. Could also be a thermostat problem.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
drewx24  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 5:58:40 AM(UTC)
drewx24

thanks for responding, so here's what i've got so far
model: DRS2660BW
MFG No: PDRS2660BWO
S/N: 1022430AX

I can hear the compressor start up, it is vibrating, and it is warm. The freezer fan is running. I read else where to check for other things such as: the lights do shut off when the door is closed, and I believe the condenser fan is working.

Another thing i may believe a problem would be is the condenser coils. I believe they run from the bottom to the back and it looks pretty dirty underneath. After using a vacuum to clean up the filthy coils, would it solve the problem?

considering that the compressor is always on, which of the three do you think would be the issue. The fridge is pretty much at room temp, but the freezer does feel slightly cooler, but not near as what it should be.

thanks for your input.
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 9:36:18 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for AMANA DRS2660BW REF - SXS/I&W | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="DarkRed"]After using a vacuum to clean up the filthy coils, would it solve the problem?[/COLOR]
A long brush also comes in handy here.
Remove both the front kick plate and the rear cover.
Cannot say if it will solve the problem but it may. A long shot but worth a try.
Clean them and also check that the condenser fan is running and the evaporator fan is running. Usually dirty coils will result in poor temperature but not reduce it to just cool in the freezer.
If the compressor is on and both fans are on then you will have to remove the cover in the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.

Heavily iced/frosted over coils is a defrost problem.

No frost or just frost in one area is a sealed system problem and you will need a pro , also it will be expensive. Often it makes m,ore sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.

Be sure to check them after the unit has run a couple hours because if you do it shortly after a defrost cycle there may be no frost.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
drewx24  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 2:24:41 PM(UTC)
drewx24

i cleaned out the dusty coils and it is working now. thanks so much for your help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply