Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nottheaveragejoe  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:28:25 PM(UTC)
Nottheaveragejoe

Groups: Registered

Hi All,
I have a little fridge model FRTO4L5DwO.

It doesn't cool. I can hold onto the compressor and hear a click (relay?) and feel it run for 15 seconds or so, then another click and it stops running. In another short while it seems to cycle through the same things again.

My question. Can anyone point me to a spec sheet so I can figure out what part is wrong?

Thanks in advance

I did try searching the model number, but couldn't find anything on it. google or this forum
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Nottheaveragejoe  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:25:07 PM(UTC)
Nottheaveragejoe

More info...

I have contacted many parts suppliers and no one has any listing for this unit.

I contacted Frigidaire and the told me in so many words that " it is a throw away model, not cost effective to supply parts, and here is the newest replacement model number... go buy it."

Now I have to fix it!

Sounds like the compressor tries to start, then the overload relay gets hot and clicks open. Kills the juice to the compressor for a while and then does the same all over again. Bad cap?

I am testing the Capacitor as bad. No measurable resistance at all.
So if I cannot order this "replacement" part, could I find one similar in size to replace it with?

Here is what it says on it.

RoHS
CBB65A-2
8uf+5% 50/60 Hz
450V~3000h/CL.C
25/85/21 P2 SH

Looks white ceramic with bolt out of the bottom to mount to fridge frame, and two wire leads coming out of the top.

What does anyone think? Can I replace the cap and get it to work?
carolbmfm  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 12:22:08 PM(UTC)
carolbmfm

I am having the same problem......mine is only 3 yrs old. They told me the very same thing as you...........Junk it ! ! !
I'll use a cooler chest before I'll buy a Frididaire product again.
Carol:mad:
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:51:29 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
When the compressor starts to run, feal it, it should be vibrating and the 1/4 inch tubing from it should start to get hot. If so, your compressor is bad, probably from internal varnish buildup.
carolbmfm  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:10:16 AM(UTC)
carolbmfm

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
When the compressor starts to run, feal it, it should be vibrating and the 1/4 inch tubing from it should start to get hot. If so, your compressor is bad, probably from internal varnish buildup.

The compressor never kicks on........it just clicks a few times and then nothing for a while........then it will try again to kick on........what could that be.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:16:36 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There is a start device plugged in the compressor side, remove and shake, if it rattles, replace it, just look it up on this sites parts box.
Nottheaveragejoe  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:38:12 AM(UTC)
Nottheaveragejoe

I went to a local appliance parts company, and they sold me a "SUPCO 3 N' 1 REFRIGERATION COMPRESSOR START COMBO RELAY, CAP, OVERLOAD kit"
Connected and works great!

I don't know for sure what part was out, but replaced several with this part which fixed my problem. Still working many months later.I gambled and it paid off. If this hadn't fixed it, I assumed it would have been a bad compressor which would have sealed its fate.
carolbmfm  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:27:09 AM(UTC)
carolbmfm

Originally Posted by: Nottheaveragejoe Go to Quoted Post
I went to a local appliance parts company, and they sold me a "SUPCO 3 N' 1 REFRIGERATION COMPRESSOR START COMBO RELAY, CAP, OVERLOAD kit"
Connected and works great!

I don't know for sure what part was out, but replaced several with this part which fixed my problem. Still working many months later.I gambled and it paid off. If this hadn't fixed it, I assumed it would have been a bad compressor which would have sealed its fate.

Thanks...........but I have copper tubing back there......Do I have to cut it and reweld it ? I am a 70 yr old woman.....haha.....but I'm pretty good at fixing things......since I've been alone for Many years. I sure do appreciate your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply