Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
burndout  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:13:07 PM(UTC)
burndout

Groups: Registered

i have a shelvador and have noticed when opening the freezer that there is a sizzling sound coming from the back, like water dripping on a hot piece of metal. also i turned out all the lights and found that there is a bright orange glowing peice of metal with water dripping on it. i can unplug the fridge and it slowly fades away. my question is that if this is an automatic defrost of damaged parts? again, the glowing metal is in the lower part of the freeze behind the louvering in the lefthand corner.. Thanks

-Jon
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abbie  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2007 4:44:57 PM(UTC)
abbie

Groups: Senior Expert

What you discribed is the defrosting cycle of the fridge, what happens is when the fridge is ready to defrost the timer shut,s the fridge off sending power to the heating element. This cycle normally last for 30 min,s. The refrigerator normal goes into a defrost cycle every 6 to 8 to 12 hours a day, depending on the timer use in the fridge. Some refrigerators have a electronic boards to do the same thing as a timer would do. So what you have just seen is a normal defrosting cycle.
burndout  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:05:38 PM(UTC)
burndout

Groups: Registered

thanks for the info. now i can sleep at night and not worry about waking up to boiling beer can bombs.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply