Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chouseal  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:51:55 PM(UTC)
chouseal

Groups: Registered

I posted earlier in this thread but never got a response. (Perhaps because I replied to my own post which made it look like it was being answered?)

Since my last post, the temps have been swinging, mostly in the fridge but also on the freezer side. The fridge will drop as low as 34 on the bottom shelf, then go up to 46, then back down. Tonight we noticed the fridge very warm again. I don't have the thermometer handy but I'd say the fridge side is 60-65. Something's not right.

Can anyone help, please? There should be ample troubleshooting info in my post linked above to get started. Reply here or in the original post, whichever you think best. Thanks very much!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:03:18 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Most probable problem is the motherboard in the back. Just take the cover off, unplug fridg and check the back of the board for bad solder connections at the big power relay. If ok, you probably would need a new motherboard or thermistors.
You can order the motherboard here, AP4436216
chouseal  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:20:14 AM(UTC)
chouseal

Hi richappy,

Did you see all the other info in my original post? I did take the motherboard cover off for a few tests, specifically the resistance check across two terminals that Gene referenced in another post. Best I remember, all the solder joints looked OK.

Is it possible my problem is ONLY the thermistors? And is "thermistor" another word for thermostat, or do they serve an additional function?

I agree, though, that it sounds like the motherboard is the problem.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:48:55 PM(UTC)
richappy

You must eliminate other problems like a compressor overheating, a condenser or evaporator motor stopping, otherwise the only action is to assume it's the motherboard or thermistors.
chouseal  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:19:07 PM(UTC)
chouseal

I don't think it's any of those things, but are there any techniques or methods to make sure?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:05:10 AM(UTC)
richappy

Yes, just check these items the next time it fails.
The cheapest fix is to replace all the thermistors, or check them if you have an ohmeter. This item can bought at Wall Mart, if you have none.
chouseal  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:54:21 AM(UTC)
chouseal

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
The cheapest fix is to replace all the thermistors, or check them if you have an ohmeter.
I have a multimeter. Where are the thermistors, and what ohm reading will they give if good (or bad)?
richappy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:07:58 AM(UTC)
richappy

One is clipped to the top of the evaporator, another in the bottom of the freezer, a third behind the damper cover in the fridg section. Should all measure 16.6 kohm when immersed in ice water for 5 minutes.
chouseal  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 6:20:00 AM(UTC)
chouseal

I'm about at my wits' end with this thing.

I ordered replacements for the main control board and all 3 thermistors. When I pulled the old board out, there was indeed a big blackened area on the back—obviously something burned out. I put in the new board and then replaced all the thermistors. (Note that when I pulled off the freezer panel to replace the ones there, the coil was completely caked in ice.)

Plugged the fridge back in, and after a few hours it hadn't gone into defrost to clear the ice, and still wasn't cooling. I pulled off the back freezer panel and let the ice melt naturally. Once that was gone I plugged it back in again, and this time the freezer cooled down fairly rapidly and even started to make ice, and the fridge started to get cool. Overnight, however, the freezer warmed up a bit, the ice melted, and the fridge is still probably in the 50-degree range.

What in the devil is going on with this thing? What should I check next?
richappy  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 8:12:01 AM(UTC)
richappy

You most probably have a blown defrost heater, just check.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply